Structural issue or slant shower base?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We just bought a condo on the 2nd floor of a 3 storey building and were told by the home inspector to re-caulk the guest shower. After removing the old caulk, we went to a hardware store and were told by multiple people that caulking a gap this big isn't a good idea. Some people are saying this might be a structural issue in the building itself. I've attached a video - I personally don't think the gap is wide enough for this to be a structural issue but maybe I'm wrong. Can someone help (video link below)? Will gladly take more videos or pictures if required.

Sponsored Links
It's a pretty big gap, but I've seen worse.

Assuming these multiple people wear aprons with their name badge on, one wonders how they're qualified to comment really.

We call them "counter monkeys" here and most are sadly as clueless as the name implies.

You do get the odd decent one though.

A crap tiler looks to be the problem there, they haven't trimmed the tiles properly over the front lip and then followed the same line or the shower tray may not have been totally level when installed, a spirit level will tell you that. Get a good quality low modulus, mould resistant silicone to allow for maximum flexibilty in case it is moving slightly. Make sure the gap is completely dry by using a hairdryer and blast it hot to dry it.

Fill it flat to the level of the tiles and press the sealant in firmly to fill any gaps, using a silicone tool to press it in before adding another fillet layer to allow the water to run into the tray properly. Don't try an do it all in one application.

Sponsored Links
Have you removed the shower door? Your video doesn't quite travel far enough to tell.
Reason I ask is, the sealant hidden behind the door frame is a very important part to get right.

Have you removed the shower door? Your video doesn't quite travel far enough to tell.
Reason I ask is, the sealant hidden behind the door frame is a very important part to get right.

Sorry for the delayed responses everyone, I had no idea I got any of them. Thank you all. Daveydub - to answer your question, when we bought the place, there was no shower door, just a curtain.

A crap tiler looks to be the problem there, they haven't trimmed the tiles properly over the front lip and then followed the same line or the shower tray may not have been totally level when installed, a spirit level will tell you that. Get a good quality low modulus, mould resistant silicone to allow for maximum flexibilty in case it is moving slightly. Make sure the gap is completely dry by using a hairdryer and blast it hot to dry it.

Fill it flat to the level of the tiles and press the sealant in firmly to fill any gaps, using a silicone tool to press it in before adding another fillet layer to allow the water to run into the tray properly. Don't try an do it all in one application.

I feel the same way about the levelling Madrab :). Do you know of a video online that resolves a similar situation? I'll just do better if I see it visually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back