Structural Queries Flat Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a rear extension that will produce a lower ground living space and a terrace, my back garden is about 1.8m below the street level.

After a couple of nudges the architect drew the inverted roof build up I requested. The engineer has detailed the roof as 50x175 C24 timbers at 400m centres and the span will be 3m.

I'm an electrician by trade so wood isn't really my thing. I've read a few details on inverted roofs and it appears 50mm thick pavers will be required to act as ballast for the insulation. A standard concrete 600x600 50mm paver is around 40kg, by my basic maths that's already 1.2kn/m2 for the pavers alone.

The engineers workings, according to the calculations are :

Flat roof -
Felt & chippings 40
Board & insulation 15
Joists & firings 10
Plasterboard & skim 15
Total 80
Dead 0.80
Live 0.75

I'm definitely not a structural engineer but that something doesn't tally up with me. The area will be a regularly used terrace with furniture on it, it'll be part of the back garden.

Any engineers here to give me a steer? Am I overthinking it?

Sponsored Links
Cheers.

I'll have to question the engineer again, it seems I'm constantly second guessing this engineer. He seems to have phoned in aspects of the design.

Sponsored Links
Just to give some closure to the thread. I sent the engineer the architects drawings, drew his attention to the discrepancy in the weight allowance.

He has confirmed he is happy with the original allowance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back