Structural ridge beam & gable end roof design

LOL, I read the OP perfectly,

If that is the case, then please explain to us exactly what the OP is looking for, as we have no idea
A structural ridge beam for a duo vaulted ceiling? A ridge board for a close coupled roof, or an abutment ridge board for either a coupled or vaulted lean to?
What way is the pitch, front to back or flank to flank?

Well based on the dimensions given and dependant on actual velux size, rafters should work at 2 x 6 (600mm centres) held up by a piece of 315mm Glulam for ridge.

What dimensions and length of pitch line are 47x150 rafters at 600C and 315 beam based on?

Doubtful you would need to get a strutural engineer to work out the rafters or structural ridge beam, most roof truss manufacturers should be able to design and supply the rafters and ridgebeam ... shouldnt they ? ?

No. Whilst Truss masnufacturers will supply in fills, they do not design and supply rafters and ridge boards.
oldun

Sponsored Links
Hi all - the ridge will run out from the existing wall, the 5m length and the width is 4m.

Little more information required to answer your questions
Is roof close coupled? i.e. with ceiling joists
Vaulted? i.e. no ceiling joists.
Makes difference for ridge and insulation u values size of rafters.
Size of Velux windows, if know?
Note vaulted roofs need higher output radiators.
oldun.

Hi oldun - it's a vaulted ceiling so 150mm Kinspan or equivelant. Not sure about the roof windows though was going to go for Velux 780mm x 980mm. Inside wall height is 2.4m.

I haven't got as far as working out the radiator output yet but your advice would be much appreciated on this an the above :)

Sponsored Links
LOL, I read the OP perfectly,

If that is the case, then please explain to us exactly what the OP is looking for, as we have no idea
A structural ridge beam for a duo vaulted ceiling? A ridge board for a close coupled roof, or an abutment ridge board for either a coupled or vaulted lean to?
What way is the pitch, front to back or flank to flank?

Extending 5 mts from the house I would take as run or length and 4mts wide I would take as the span.
As he was asking where to find calcs to size structural ridge & rafters and there was no mention of ceilings, it was clear to me that it would be a vaulted style roof. That coupled with the mention of a SE in the next couple of posts following that and also Velux's either side made it clear to me.

Well based on the dimensions given and dependant on actual velux size, rafters should work at 2 x 6 (600mm centres) held up by a piece of 315mm Glulam for ridge.

What dimensions and length of pitch line are 47x150 rafters at 600C and 315 beam based on?
Based on the 5mt run and 4mt span 20 deg pitch he mentioned

Doubtful you would need to get a strutural engineer to work out the rafters or structural ridge beam, most roof truss manufacturers should be able to design and supply the rafters and ridgebeam ... shouldnt they ? ?

No. Whilst Truss masnufacturers will supply in fills, they do not design and supply rafters and ridge boards.
oldun

Well alot of truss manufacturers up north don't either, which is why I left the question there. There are a small few that do though and also will offer a complete sizing of Glulam beams complete with calcs that will suffice BC. I guess finding ones down near where the OP is might be a little difficult then.

Okay Tom, insulation first. We only use Celotex, so will stick with that. Celotex has brought out the 5000 range that has a lambda of 0.021W/mK, but according to our figures, pound for pound the 4000 range still works out cheapest. plus the 5000 range has not yet found its way into LABC Technical Note 10.
You can either go cold or warm deck. Material wise cost very little difference. Labour wise cost cheaper and easier with cold deck
You have a number of choices with Celotex to achieve 0.18W/m2K. Permeable breather felt over rafters.
1. 165mm XR4000 between the rafters and P/B
2. 100mm GA4000 between the rafters and either 35mm GA4000 under rafter and P/B or 35mm PL4000 under rafter. PL4000 has 12.5 plasterboard laminated to insulation.
3. 50mm GA4000 between rafters and 70mm GA4000 under and P/B or 70mm PL4000 under.
Rafters. 5x4m external footprint Assume 300mm cavity walls, therefore overall span of plate 3600 with run of 1800 at 20 degree pitch (half thickness of ridge not deducted as rafters need to meet at apex) gives rafter length of 1915 from top plumb cut to birds mouth heel cut plus whatever overhang you require. We usually allow 450, so you will require 2700 lengths if you can get them, but you may have to buy 3000.
For your information, on a close coupled roof with a pitch length of 1915 and snow load of 0.75KN/m2, and the worst scenario roof tile dead load of 1.0KN/m2, then C16s 47x 125 at 600/C or 47x100 at 400/C would be sufficient, how ever considering your U values and that roof is vaulted, this is the way we would do it.
Using the same loading tables as above C16s 47x200 regulised to 47x195 at 600/C. Permeable roof felt over rafters, 25mm gap down to insulation, 165mm XR4000 insulation flush with bottom of rafters and 12.5 plasterboard. We do not bother with VB as pig to get up, but run 100mm aluminium foil tape down each rafter with 25mm lap over insulation. Acts as VP and will stop ghosting if any.
For structural ridge we never use glulam beam, only USBs with 50x100 plate (wider if necessary) either gunned to top or coach bolted up through flange. Will leave size of beam and calcs to you.
With 20 degree pitch and standard two thirds down to pitch line leaves you a long seat cut on birds mouth, so go four fifths down with your pitch line on your pattern rafter and this will give you HAP of 167mm, heel cut of 39mm deep and seat cut of 105mm long. Use the same pitch line on top birds beak and you should have heel cut of 39mm deep and seat cut 50mm long.
For each pair of rafters at the apex cut, laminate and nail each side 6mm ply gusset from top of apex to bottom of beam plate. One restraint strap each side for gable and holding down straps at 1m centres, not 2m centres.
Sorry its so long but you have all you want, although we think that relaxing PD is going to be a pipe dream.
One other thing you could increase pitch if you can get in under first floor window cills.
Regards oldun

I thought no insulation under the rafters these days was frowned upon, due to thermal bridging.

I thought no insulation under the rafters these days was frowned upon, due to thermal bridging.

It is frowned upon, but really depends on which BC it is. We have had it where on one job we have had to do between and over rafters then on another it was all between rafters.

And both where passed !! LOL

@ oldun,

How come you never use / specify glulam ? Seems alot of extra work to use a usb and cost when you could use something that would do the job just as well and easier to fit ? Plus you dont need structural engineer to size up a glulam ? Not to mention the cloaking of the beam, wallplate for fixing etc ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back