Stuart Turner Pump - Schrader Valve, pressure vessel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Stuart Turner Dual Universal 3.0 Bar pump has started to randomly turn on and off for about 3 seconds. There are no leaks in the system that I can find. I checked the pressure in the vessel on top of the pump and there was zero pressure. I topped this up to 13 psi as per the Pump Instruction Manual. This seemed to cure the problem for about a week but it has started to come on and off again. Before I get up in the loft and check the vessel pressure again, I wondered if anyone has had this problem? Could the Schrader valve on the pressure vessel have failed. If so, can this be replaced the same as on a car or bike? The pump has been working flawlessly for about 6 years.
Any suggestions welcome.

Sponsored Links
check you don’t have a leaky / dripping tap. soapy water on the valve will show if you have a valve issue.

Thanks. I have checked all taps and piping (that I can see) and there doesn't appear to be any leaks. I will try the soapy water on the end of the valve to see if there any bubbles. Do you know if the Schrader valve can be replaced?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Schrader can be replaced.
Done loads of them.
Local tyre place should be able to help you out with pin and the little tool needed. Mine gives them to me for freeeeeeeeee :)

Thanks Dilalio. I guess if you have 'done loads of them' that indicates that they do fail, so I will obtain and fit a new valve.

Motorbiking, I am pretty sure that the inlets of both hot and cold are free from air. The system has been working for 6 years without any problems. I am leaning towards the valve being the problem. I will be getting in the loft later this week so I will post my findings.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Hi All,
Well I went into the loft and checked the pressure vessel on top of the pump and it had lost its pressure - empty. I purchased a new schrader valve from Halfords and a small tool to unscrew the old one out and to tighten the new one in. Re-pressurised and so far the pump has worked for 48 hours without the random switching on and off. So, (touch wood !!) this has fixed the problem. If the vessel loses pressure over the coming weeks, then there must be another problem/leak on the pump but hopefully it will now be OK. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Regards
Geoff

Hi All,

Well here we are again and the pump has started to come on/off for 3 seconds at a time randomly again !!! It is definitely less often though. I have now ordered two Non Return Valves from AquaFlow in Ireland and I will replace these to see if that cures the problem. Stuart Turner want over £200 for a Maintenance spares Kit which seems well over the top. When the NRV's are replaced, I will Post back with the outcome/update.

Regards
Geoff

HI,
Would you believe it ...... but I went up into the loft with my nice new shiny NRVs ready to install them, I happened to rotate the pipe lagging that was protecting the 22mm cold water pipe leading from the pump outlet to the showers and as the slot in the lagging turned to the bottom, some water drained out !!!! On removing the lagging, there was a 22mm straight Yorkshire soldered coupling that was weeping slightly. So I am hoping that this was causing the loss in pressure and the pump kicking in. I have now repaired this and will now wait and see if the random pump starting has been cured. If not, the last resort will be to change the NRVs. I guess if you don't hear from me you can assume that the problem is fixed !!!
Regards
Geoff

Hi All,

Well that was a 'red herring' as after repairing the solder coupling the pump still kept kicking in randomly!!! Now I have replaced the NRV's (which didn't cure the problem) and this week I have now replaced the Pressure Vessel !!! The Pressure Vessel was slowly losing pressure. After two days now the pump hasn't randomly kicked in so, fingers crossed, that was the problem. As the pump has been installed about 6 years, replacing the NRVs and Pressure vessel is probably a good idea anyway.

So hopefully problem solved.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back