Stuck 55mm brass nut in shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Mira shower, not electric, is leaking so sent for a service kit. I have watched the Youtube video a few times to see how to do it. Why does it always look easy in these videos? I am unable to get the 55mm brass nut off using a pipe wrench to access the parts that need sorting. Tried the boiling water, (4 kettlefuls), hammer bashing round the nut and a good dollop of penetrating fluid. All to no avail. Then again it is 29 yrs old. Any ideas on next possible solution please?

Sponsored Links
Easy for me to say as I have the gear but I'd use my battery impact wrench to shock it off with a suitable socket, of course!
Is the shower valve on the bench or in the wall still?
John :)

It is an exposed unit on the wall. Have put the flow control and temp knob back on for now. Did not know there was such a thing as a battery impact wrench. Must need a big socket. Thanks for reply. Shower still usable despite leak at the back.

Sponsored Links
It is an exposed unit on the wall. Have put the flow control and temp knob back on for now. Did not know there was such a thing as a battery impact wrench. Must need a big socket. Thanks for reply. Shower still usable despite leak at the back.
Mechanics use these things, they give a good shock to the nut without stressing anything else.
Heaving a shower unit on the wall will no doubt end in grief, much easier if you can get it in a vice.
John

What sort of grief might happen using an impact wrench on the nut? Have you used one before in my situation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back