stuck between a rock and a hard place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I'm in a bit of a situation where I am trying to lease out my business premises floor space to a local business, but have an issue with the rear wall.

An open flagstone yard at the front of my neighbour's house, connects to the rear of my premises. From the pictures you will notice that my shop is approx 1mtr below his ground floor level.

I recently contemplated getting some work done on the exterior of the rear wall, but unfortunately my neighbour has no interest in listening to my complaints, and has stated that I will not be allowed to disturb his flagstones to install any kind of barrier, to hold back rain water that may be encouraging the collection of water.

the wall in question, for the record, has been plastered for the third time in 10 yrs.

I have a feeling that the 'Courts' route would be expensive, but might be my best chance of putting an end to the water retention issue...

should I put my case to a local solicitor, or spend a large amount of money and repair the issue from the inside?

Also, any idea to fix it from the inside would be gratefully appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
How bad is the damp? If not too bad a waterproof render like Vandex seems the most obvious and cost effective solution. If you go with this method and are DIYing, meticulous attention to preparation, mixing and application are essential.

Other methods are a bituminous type membrane like RIW held in place with a masonry skin ie 100mm blockwork or a dimpled membrane such as Newlath but they're probably overkill here and really need to be linked to the floor waterproofing.

Or you could just whack a couple of coats of RIW Flexiseal on without anything to hold it there and hope for the best.

How bad is the damp? If not too bad a waterproof render like Vandex seems the most obvious and cost effective solution. If you go with this method and are DIYing, meticulous attention to preparation, mixing and application are essential.

Other methods are a bituminous type membrane like RIW held in place with a masonry skin ie 100mm blockwork or a dimpled membrane such as Newlath but they're probably overkill here and really need to be linked to the floor waterproofing.

Or you could just whack a couple of coats of RIW Flexiseal on without anything to hold it there and hope for the best.

Thanks for that.

It's not major, but the sight of it can have an effect on maintaining a tenant.

I branched out as I looked into your links, and found something called

"FLEXACRYL / EVERCRYL ONE COAT"

I think I've seen this in use too; it has a silicone like finish when dry and was applied by a paint brush. I could end up using a full 15ltr tin, and pay approx £15.

my idea would be to chip everything off at the bad areas and around it down to the floor, and go back to brick. Apply a few layers of "Evercryl" and THEN plaster over it.

Am I going in the right direction? :)

(Still looking into your links as I type)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80...=25046346503&gclid=CKa34qSWsroCFWTHtAodyWwAiQ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back