Stuck butterfly valve!!!

Well done getting the Baxi service plan.

A big problem with Powermax and similar models is the flueing.

That needs to be inspectable along its length at the joints.

Anyone owning one should look up "flues in voids" so they understand what is involved.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony,

I've phoned a Gas Safe engineer today and told him what I did. He's said without seeing it's hard to say but SHOULD be OK until Baxi come out next month. (He can't get here any sooner himself).

I did read something about a problem with flues in voids. I think it said it was particularly troublesome on horizontal voids / ducts - I assume that's because it's easier for CO to get trapped - just guessing though!)

Ours goes straight out of the top of the boiler into the attic and then from the attic to the roof.

Attachments

• Top of boiler.JPG
    Top of boiler.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Vent pipe in attic.JPG
    Vent pipe in attic.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Exit via roof.JPG
    Exit via roof.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 149
GS85, can you tell of that has had the updated part from the pic?
I wouldn't be able to tell tbh as I never work on them it's about the only boiler I always shift onto Baxi, they made the death trap let them fix it.

Sponsored Links
Quick update Gents (before I mark this thread as solved.....),

After I initially pumped up the expansion tank a couple of months back, the boiler and central heating have been absolutely fine. I had also drained and flushed the system and radiators a couple of times, added the relevant Fernox inhibitor and it's been absolutely perfect since. All radiators have been getting hot very quickly and there's been no loss of pressure or leaks at all.

Anyway, the BAXI engineer came out on Thursday and, as Tony predicted, did a very thorough job. He seemed like a very decent chap and spent well over an hour working on the boiler.

He said the expansion tank was a little low (0.5 bar) and pumped it up. When he had finished the service though, he increased the overall pressure to 2.5. I had mentioned to him that I'd downloaded the manual and read up on the boiler and questioned why he was setting it so high when the manual (and sticker on the boiler) both state 1.5 bar.

He said something along the lines of adding more pressure so that if the pressure does go down over time, it'll last longer / have some leeway before the safety cut-out kicks in.

I didn't want to question him any more - after all - he's the professional heating engineer and I'm not.

Again - everything's working fine, but for the last couple of days when the heating's on, the digital display now reads 3.2.

I thought the PRV kicks in at 3.0 so I wasn't expecting to see such a high reading.

Does this sound OK or is something not quite right?

Many are rated at 3.5 bar.

But the exact calibration is not very exact.

Should be OK.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back