stuck hot tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When i try to turn the hot tap on in the bathroom sink, it turns a little bit but then gets stuck before any water comes out. Is this a washer issue? Here's a picture of the tap.

Any advice on what the problem is and what I need to do to fix it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

Sponsored Links
Could be the washer. Turn off the water and unscrew the tap body where the hexagonal bit is. You should be able to see what is going on from there.

Not a washer problem. I would say that a strip down, clean and reseat would help. Replace washers while stripped though.

OK thanks, I'll take a look inside. I'm assuming to take it apart, I would need to hold one nut steady and turn the other.... which would be which?

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the threaded carrier has become jammed, this may be that the washer was worn and it's been screwed down too far and the carrier's come out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4LLObY_go shows you how to dismantle to do the washer. When you have the tap apart you need to make sure that the section that the washer fits onto retracts into the tap body properly. You need to get the hex on the left to line up with the hex in the body
View media item 65776Put the top of the tap back on and turn it anti clockwise until the bit with the washer pulls up and stops, turn the top clockwise very slightly and then push n twist the part with the washer on it until you feel it click into place then turn the tap anti clockwise and it should draw it back up into the tap

I've had a look at the video and the first step is to remove the 'end dice' (? not sure what he says there but the top white cap). I've been trying to do this but I can't get a stanley blade underneath the white bit to lever it off.

Looking at my tap is it likely to be a case of levering underneath the white bit? Or there is another gap in the silver ring just below, directly on top of the four tap arms.

It could just be stuck after years of not maintaining so any tips for loosening it? boiling water on it?

Some are threaded. Try turning the silver bit below the white cap - you mention a gap there, which could be where it unscrews.

I've had a look at the video and the first step is to remove the 'end dice' (? not sure what he says there but the top white cap).

Yours is threaded, you need to hold the tap head whilst using some grips on the indice to unscrew it (anti-clock)

Don`t be indecisive - the indices are just the Hot or Cold white buttons on the top - and Nothing to do with dismantling your tap ;)

you just need to hold the spout to stop the tap moving & undo the biggest nut where it goes into the body, then follow mads post, you don't need to remove the cross head

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back