Stuck MR16 dichroic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

A light fitting with MR16 dichroics seems to have a stuck bulb. I was under the impression that these were just pull-out :?: The shrouds around each bulb are one-piece, with no apparent option to dismantle the shroud. The bulbs are recessed into the shroud.

There is a circular spring clip - but the bulb seems well wedged even with this removed. Is there a possibility the inner shroud (black plastic?) has compressed against the bulb body with heating?

All I have managed to do so far is remove the flat glass disk exposing the capsule :oops: There seemed to be only some clear softish sealant material holding this disk in place (cheap bulbs?). The circlip does not hold the glass in place.

So I now have a working bulb (was intermittent - hence my gentle attentions), with the capsule exposed, and a glass disk to look after 'till I can do a fix.

Any advice?

Many Thanks,
CB

Sponsored Links
Some of those dichloric fittings need to have presure applied and twist out as they have a lug on the end of the pins and a "9" shape recepticle socket in the fitting.

is this a mains fitting? if so it will have twist and pull connectors on the bulb.

Thanks guys - these are 12Volt types, so presumably pull out?

The problem is getting any purchase either to twist - or more likely - to pull.

It was whilst tinkering with a small pen-knife blade (trying to get behind the bulb and between the bulb and the shroud), that the glass disk 'just popped out in me hand, guv'.

Still - the lamp is now working. It just doesnt have the glass (disk) cover.

Bemused,
CB

Sponsored Links
For the moment leave it alone, when it finally blows, smash it out. All will be revealed. Just put a dust sheet down to catch the bits of glass. The 12V ones are usually bi-pin, push fit, but can 'weld in' if overheated. Spare holder gubbins from RS at extortianate rates. The whole thing will be spring fit in the hole - sometimes a garott of steel wire, or strong fishing line can be used to pull the springsi n to facilitate minimum damage removal of the whole fitting, depends on the design.

A lot of fittings now are cheap imported ones (in fact they are all prob imported but the content of led is high in some fittings and under the heat they recieve they melt inside, i guess this is your problem mr16 is a 2 pin pull out lamp

i presume you mean to say lead not led

since its working i'd probbally leave it for now when the blub blows grab the actual bulb inside with pliers (with the lighting cuircuit off) and pull. You will almost certainly break the bulb but with some work you should be able to get all the bits out.

Yup - some very sensible ideas here - I appreciate the response.

I will leave things alone 'til the bulb (i.e. capsule) goes.

Cheers.

being dichroic the majority of heat produced is dispersed from the back of the lamp, so it may have stuck due to melting of surrounding materials (black plastic?) the lamp should be clear of all obstructions in the housing allowing for adequate airflow to disperse the heat generated.

plugwash said:
i presume you mean to say lead not led

since its working i'd probbally leave it for now when the blub blows grab the actual bulb inside with pliers (with the lighting cuircuit off) and pull. You will almost certainly break the bulb but with some work you should be able to get all the bits out.

No i did mean Led. Most have a led content

No - some emergency luminaires do have a small status LED in them, but there aren't enough of those around to mean that "most" have a LED.....

ban-all-sheds said:
No - some emergency luminaires do have a small status LED in them, but there aren't enough of those around to mean that "most" have a LED.....

LED = Metal content of led no as you are thinking led as in neon

But plugwash asked if you meant lead, i.e. the metal, and you said no, you definitely meant LED.

led as in neon
Not sure what that's about, LEDs and neons are utterly different, and I'm sure the little red lights on emergency luminaires are LEDs, not neons....

an LED is a small light used in stereos and computers etc

LEAD, however is a metal, despite being pronounced "led":

lead ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ld)
n.
Symbol Pb A soft, malleable, ductile, bluish-white, dense metallic element, extracted chiefly from galena and used in containers and pipes for corrosives, solder and type metal, bullets, radiation shielding, paints, and antiknock compounds. Atomic number 82; atomic weight 207.2; melting point 327.5°C; boiling point 1,744°C; specific gravity 11.35; valence 2, 4. See table at element.

just thought id clear all this up. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back