Double-glazed sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps,

First post here (I've just signed up), so please be gentle!

I'm making some sash windows for our house. It's a Georgian terrace in East London, and the existing sash windows are pretty old and some of them rotten. I've made sash windows before with good results - I've made the sashes from pine, painted them, had some glass cut to fit and stuck it in with putty then put the sashes in the frames.

However this time I want to make them from hardwood and double-glaze them. And this looks a fair bit more complex. I have done some searching on here (and elsewhere) and discovered a number of things I hadn't anticipated - and which make things rather more complex than just using single-paned glass.

1. You can't use putty to hold the units in, you need to use special tape, like this:

http://www.indigo.co/ecom-catshow/double-sided-foam-tape.html

Not a problem, presumably I just buy some!

2. You need to use glazing blocks. I can find a diagram of how to position these, but have no idea of what they are or why I need to use them.

glazingblocks.jpg

If I look them up on google images I get pictures of little rectangles of colour, and nothing much else. I am guessing that they are something that allows a certain amount of movement in the frame without exerting (much) force on the glazing unit - a kind of cushion between the two, but this doesn't make much sense as surely the frame tape does this? Is my guess right, or am I way wide of the mark?

3. Looking at this picture:

diagram.jpg

(Where you are looking at a cross-section of the frame channel, with the glazing unit in it, and red stuff is frame tape and green stuff is silicone sealant)

... it has a picture of an outside bit of trim that attaches to the window frame, in the rebate that the glazing unit occupies, holding the glazing unit in. Is this essential? I am assuming it will need to be made of the same hardwood that the sashes will be made of, and painted before installation? And how do I hold it in - small screws or tacks?

It appears that common thicknesses for the glazing units are 18mm, or more. Therefore, a bit of simple maths:

Depth of rebate for glazing unit = thickness of glazing unit (18mm) + thickness of two layers of glazing tape (2x2mm = 4mm) + thickness of outside trim (5mm? More?) = at least 27mm.

This means that the rebate I cut into the wood to take the glazing units needs to be at least 27mm deep - non? And preferably a bit more (5mm for the outside trim seems a bit thin to me - it's likely to be more if I am to make it without breaking it.)

That's a pretty deep cut. 3cm. The sashes are only going to be 3.5cm thick, so that's leaving a 5mm bit of wood for the whole lot to mount on. Have I really got this right?

Another couple of questions:

- I am confidently assuming that I can go into a double-glazing shop and buy double-glazing units to the size I want (in much the same way as I can go into my local glass shop and buy glass in any size I want.) Is this so? if I take my newly-made sashes into a shop they will make up double-glazing panels to fit them? What sort of shop should I go to to have this done? Also, how much is this likely to cost? I reckon on about £10-15 to have a 'normal' sash glazed (depending on how big it is) - I am assuming that DG units will come to well over double this cost?

- DG units will be heavier than the single-glazed units which I am removing, and hence I will have to re-weight the sash counterweight system. How do I do this? Do I buy bigger weights, or try sticking something heavy to the existing weights?

- What can I do to draught-proof the windows? I will make them to fit the frames as tightly as I can, but does anyone have any experience (good or bad) of draught-proofing systems for this sort of thing? Either the furry strips you stick along the side, or something more substantial? I currently tape our windows shut during the colder months of the year (they leak air like there is no tomorrow), and I am hoping to get 'round this.

I realise this is quite a long first post, so thanks for reading this far.

All help greatly welcomed. Many thanks in advance.

Oli.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Probably quicker cheaper and easier to buy made to measure hardwood sashes, tend to use spring system for the extra weight rather than weights this reduces the size of the frame required.They can also include a tilt action to allow easier cleaning.Glazing blocks maintain a drainage gap for the window, if they sit in water they fail quickly.

Foxhole,

Thanks. Although - alas - it's too late to buy made-to-measure ones as I have already purchased the wood and started work ... !

Forgive me for being thick, but how do the glazing blocks work, and where would the water collect that would allow the glazing units to sit in them?

Thanks for your help.

Oli.

Water collects at the base of the double glazed unit, small drain slots allow the water out.

Sponsored Links
You mean that water collects within the DG unit, and it has slots built into the side to let it out?

I presume this isn't a problem with the argon-filled ones ... any such a slot would simply let all the argon leak out ...

Oli.

No he means water collects in the frame under which the unit sits on, using glazing packers lets any water run underneath the unit and out drainage holes in the frame.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

How does the water get into the frame? And do I also need to drill some holes in the frame to allow the water to run out of then? (Not difficult, and thanks for telling me before I make them!)

Oli.

Water can past the outer seals which runs out of ther drainage holes onto the cill, sometime hidden and also for ventilation on the inner frame to control condensation from the internal frame profile

Masona,

Thanks for your answer, but I'm not quite sure I understand it. Sorry if I am being dense.

Which outer seals can the water get past? The ones between the double glazing unit and the wooden sash? And where does it then go to ... would it help to put a marker on the diagram above?

Sorry to be thick.

Oli.

Masona,

Yes, that helps immensely. Thank you.

Looking at that picture, if a small puddle of water formed at the bottom of the DG unit, where would it run out to? Or should I create some drainage channels in the Glazing Bead to allow such moisture out?

Thanks again for your help.

Oli.

Drain channel would be directly below glass and run out under glazing bead.
My conservatory has 2 channels cut about 5mm deep and 50mm wide under the beading.

They can also include a tilt action to allow easier cleaning.

Tilt action are the worst possible idea going. They are a security nightmare.
Stay away from them.

And no, I`m not saying on a open forum what the risk is, but it is there.

Hi
Can I ask the OP where he got the specs for double glazed sash units as I am thinking of making my own as well, but have only started the research.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back