Stuck stopcock and thames water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My stop cock is stuck, both the first one in the property, and the one out on the street. Stuck open that is, they just won't budge.

I read that it's the water company responsibility to fix this. Is that so? Will they fix both the street one, and the first one in the property?

Sponsored Links
Outside of your property is there responsible, im afraid it your responsibities if in your property boundery

Ok, that was the most painless service I've every received from a service company.

Called them up, told them the outside stopcock is stuck and I have some leaks to fix.

They said they'll send someone over within 10 days to fix it, and if they can't fix it they will replace it within 30 days.

Sponsored Links
What the incoming main pipe made of? Copper? Lead? Blue plastic?

Can you undo the packing gland nut of the stopcock, that will help loose up tight spindle and gently move with spanner on a handle, don't go too far, otherwise you will snap handle off. Use WD40.

Daniel.

It's all copper. House is from 1900, turned into 4 flats in 1979, so I assume that's how old the outside stopcock is. Out on the street the opening is very small, can't even shine a light in. It's a 1/2 square key which I've bought and fits correctly, but just won't turn. Soaked it in WD40 a few times however as I can't see, I'm just spraying down a dark hole really, and it's probably not targeting where it's got to act.

...and they arrived today. He unstuck it with this huge lever thing, and then we tried my stopcock key and it works now.

Good service. No cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back