stud wall insulation recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stud wall situated in a loft space which backs on to a couple of bedrooms which i would like to heat insulate. The gap between each stud is approx 400mm (or whatever the imperial conversion is as the house was built in 1930) and the depth is 75 mm. Where is the best place to source it as well? Thanks

Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links
first line of the embedded link says 37 slabs, and that it will cover 4.37 m2, if put between studs I guess you will get 4.5-5m2 per pack?

first line of the embedded link says 37 slabs, and that it will cover 4.37 m2, if put between studs I guess you will get 4.5-5m2 per pack?
i just looked at the bottom and it says 8 slabs. That'll teach me to look properly :)

I was sent a link re finding a local tradesman if i needed one but when I logged in it disappeared. I say that because it might come in useful to me in future

If you're only installing 75mm between studs and none over, I'd recommend PIR or PUR rigid board (kingspan/Celotex to use a couple of popular brand names) instead of wool

Ignoring the studs, the wall U value for using .037 lambda wool is about .44, whereas with rigid board it's .28. For reference building regs require new wall elements to be .15, so using wool will get you insulation that is about a third as good as regs require, and with board about half as good. Remember, about 10% of your wall is studwork, which makes these values worse

Really you should be looking to board over the studs too

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back