Stumbled upon...

Sponsored Links
looks to much for this time of night date I saw 2003 when it was prepared
re Low votages 220V up 230V 240V down to 230V well thats been done on paper but I still find 240V -246V in Lincolnshire so thats fine! I have to calc at 230V ???? welcome to the real world must be some kind of inflation :)

I saw 2003 when it was prepared
:?:

"This page was last modified on 14 June 2010, at 12:38."

"The Electrical Installation Guide (EIG), was until 12/2009 an exclusive Schneider-Electric publication distributed through printing and internet (ISBN: 978.2.9531643.3.6, version 2010). This new WIKI-EIG is now allowing all external contribution for improvement and update. "

:?:

re Low votages 220V up 230V 240V down to 230V well thats been done on paper but I still find 240V -246V in Lincolnshire so thats fine! I have to calc at 230V ???? welcome to the real world must be some kind of inflation :)
BS 7671 also requires you to calculate at 230V, and has done for over 2 years.

Sponsored Links
BS 7671 also requires you to calculate at 230V, and has done for over 2 years.

A resisitive load ( heater etc ) of 1 Kwatt at 230 volts will take a current of 4.35 amps and has a resistance of 52.88 ohms

The same resistive load when supplied with the UK maximum supply of 253 volts will take 4.78 amps. 10% more than the calculated value for that load.

If the design is to be safe at 253 volts shouldn't the calculations be for 253 volts ( 230 + 10% ) to ensure that no cables are carrying more than their permitted maximum current.

Or do, as I suspect, the regulation / formula allow for this and calculate currents less than the actual capability of the cable.

DIYers... do NOT take that as a reason to go beyond the maximum rated current for a cable. There are more complex equations involving time in the calculation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back