Light up uk downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone ordered from them before thinking of ordering firerated downlights from them to replace the ones that are currently in the ceiling when we moved in

http://www.lightupuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=441_59_139&products_id=485

Now i know you get what you pay for, and the current ones look cheap and nasty and a fire hazard, as these are kitchen lights and will be under the floorboards of the bedroom i want to make sure these will be ok

Sponsored Links
i want to make sure these will be ok
If you can cook by torchlight then ceiling these lights might be OK as kitchen lighting. If you fit them use good quality bulbs to reduce the hazard of exploding lamps dropping glass into the coq au vin.

What gap do you have in your ceiling void?
The cans are 145mm and you will still need to allow for top ventilation.
So I would firstly check the ceiling void measurement between ceiling and floor. Then enquire about the distance required above the can, as that detail is not given nor is there any indication of the make/brand of these lights, which makes it impossible to offer an opinion on the quality of them.
Also as it is a kitchen area, lights with protection aganist moisture ingress through to the void would be something worth thinking about.
Part C compliant lights would be required.

So I would firstly check the ceiling void measurement between ceiling and floor. Then enquire about the distance required above the can, as that detail is not given nor is there any indication of the make/brand of these lights, which makes it impossible to offer an opinion on the quality of them.
Also as it is a kitchen area, lights with protection aganist moisture ingress through to the void would be something worth thinking about.

Sponsored Links

Well at the moment the lights that have been put in dont look as if they conform to anything very cheap and nasty looking. And defo no protection against moisture ill try measure the void tonight see what distance we have cheers guys

Bite the bullet of repairing the ceiling, and put in a smaller number of larger diameter recessed lights which will do a far, far better job of lighting up the room than 2" torches will.

Bite the bullet of repairing the ceiling, and put in a smaller number of larger diameter recessed lights which will do a far, far better job of lighting up the room than 2" torches will.

There's 20 altogether including the living room as well so not to sure that's an option,don't think they give off that bad a light to be honest I know they get a lot of bad press on here

And that "there's 20" is the reason why.

If the lights were any good at lighting up rooms you wouldn't need 20.

Hope you like LEDs, if you want to retain lighting which uses MR16 lamps....

And that "there's 20" is the reason why.

If the lights were any good at lighting up rooms you wouldn't need 20.

Hope you like LEDs, if you want to retain lighting which uses MR16 lamps....

Oh yeh I totally understand where your coming from, but even if we change them now so they are safe that's all we're worried about, LEDs? Is this the future of downlight bulbs is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back