Home Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im looking at installing an alarm at home but i want to use some decent gear, ie not a b&q special!
I have serached around and think im going to get this one.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/...page=product_info&cPath=36_62&products_id=551
Is there anything you lot think i should be concerned about, basic normal mistakes etc

I have a 3 bed semi and plan to use the sensors in
hallway, lounge, kitchen and main bedroom
front door and garage door

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
PaulCutler said:
Hi, im looking at installing an alarm at home but i want to use some decent gear, ie not a b&q special!
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/...page=product_info&cPath=36_62&products_id=551
Is there anything you lot think i should be concerned about, basic normal mistakes etc

Thanks for any advice

Most firms will install a decent system for £100.

thanks Gaffers son but i really want to do it myself and id like to use decent equipment, i know i can but some 'cheaper' equipment from ebay or soem china store but i want to do it properly. I have rung round and the cheapest i can fin id £250 installed which is cheap but i dont want the wires thrown in etc, so thats why i want to it myself. Pluis i want to be able to extend it and work on it without paying 'callout' charges

Thanks anyway

Sponsored Links
gaffersson, you cant buy materials for £100 let alone fit it

Ah found it. They must have raised their prices, or offer a cheaper option. They have 'systems for £99' in the window, and my neighbour got a full system fitted for £115.

I know this because I offered to fit it, and they shown me the quote they had.

i would also assume thats from. If i wanted it fitted by someone else, but i want 4 pir's lcd keypad and 2 doors pluse sounders. I was thinking of fitting the dialler to it too

Anyway back on subject.

That seems a good package, theres not much variation on price.

My neighbours £115 system may have been cheap because it may have less sensors or cheaper gear.

I forgot what the question was, theres not much to an alarm. Just keep the colours for connection consistent throughout the system.

Make sure you run the cables properly. Many tims you will see them running across the top of the joist buried in a small gap, where they have hit it with a screwdriver. They think its acceptable because its thin cable but its a pain in the arse when you nail / cut through it.

Basic things, when you run all the cables back to the point where the panel will be, make sure to label them up.

What more can I say?

Good luck.

Thanks mate, i have run all the cables for my speakers and other stuff so am fairly confident i will be ok

Thanks

PaulCutler said:

Thanks for any advice

It seems a reasonable price for the equipment. Make sure you sit down and fully read and understand the installation instructions before you start to install the system. Other wise it is a fairly straight forward job.

TheGaffersSon said:
Most firms will install a decent system for £100.

For that price they will have to lash in the cheapest sh**e on the market, and to make that price justifiable they are going to have to be fitting two systems per day, so there will be no care, or decent workmanship. You will end up with probably 2 PIRs a cheapo panel and a bell box. Oh and cables stapled all over your walls.

When we fit a burglar alarm it usually takes 1 - 1½ days to fit.

I wondered that as well, or is it £115 for fitting plus the price of the alarm? The £155 alarm on the website doesn't say it includes fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back