Home Alarm

Sponsored Links
am i looking at this the wrong way would i be better of getting myself one of these £100 systems or installing the pro kit myself

PaulCutler said:
am i looking at this the wrong way would i be better of getting myself one of these £100 systems or installing the pro kit myself

You are probably better off getting the kit yourself and installing it. Providing you possess a reasonable level of DIY ability and take time to understand the installation manual then you shouldn't encounter too many problems, and you can always ask on the forum if you do get stuck.

Plus at the end of the job you can stand back and say "I did that". Just don't bang on about it for hours at dinner parties!

lol ok rf thanks. I have ordered the kit and will post back with any issues. I checked with them if it came with instructions at they said it comes with full wiring instructions so i should be ok.
I want to put the control panel in my airing cupboard do you think i can run the power of the immersion heater i should i take it off the sockets

Sponsored Links
Is there still an immersion heater connected to the supply? If there is then you shouldn't connect to this supply, but if not just replace the old immersion heater switch with the unswitched supply supplied with your alarm kit.

A spur off the sockets is fine. You should feed the spur in 2.5mm² t&e cable

ty rf i will take the supply from the sockets then
ty for your help

for a decent alarm kit your lookin at £100 at least. to have it installed for £99 your gonna have wires everywhere and no care taken. and the panel/PIR's will probably need replaced after 3 months.

usually a days work to install an alarm, depending on house (few hours for a bungalow). and even then your lookin at £250-350 for a decent alarm + installation

Simon, thanks that is basically what i thought and why i wanted to fit my own. Many thanks guys

crafty1289 said:
TheGaffersSon said:
Most firms will install a decent system for £100.

i'm no expert, but i have my doubts about this remark. :?:

No, Crafty! What he meant to say was,

TheGaffersSon said:
Some firms will install a bad system for £100.

Wonder if 5 star fit a spur? Wonder if they certificate their work, and issue minor works?

Why doesn't the text in their offer match the pictures underneath?

securespark said:
crafty1289 said:
TheGaffersSon said:
Most firms will install a decent system for £100.

i'm no expert, but i have my doubts about this remark. :?:

No, Crafty! What he meant to say was,

TheGaffersSon said:
Some firms will install a bad system for £100.

Wonder if 5 star fit a spur? Wonder if they certificate their work, and issue minor works?

Why doesn't the text in their offer match the pictures underneath?

:LOL: You might be right!

ok then, equipement arrived today, and i have changed the panel. Seems ok. But not very logical to program, good job it came with a manual!

My question now is i want my alarm to contact me when it activates

i dont know weather tro have this one
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/...page=product_info&cPath=36_57&products_id=344
as it has a 'listen in' feature which i like the sound of or

http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/...page=product_info&cPath=36_57&products_id=377
as it does sms text messages

I assume the first one will be easier to impliment as it is from the same manufacturer, but quite like the 'coolness' of text messaging

whats your opionins?

Get the 2nd one, what is listening in going to do for you?

alarm companies use the listen in feature to confirm someone is actualy breaking in.

I would like to offer the following advice

run 1 cable for each device used
label it as you do each one
stick to the same colours through out
write the installation date on the battery
Dont point pirs at windows
dont use vibration detectors
dont bother with bedroom pir, put it in the landing

[color=red]crafty wrote: [/color]breezer said:
Get the 2nd one, what is listening in going to do for you?

Au contrare, breezer. I would opt for the first one. Text messages have been known to take weeks to arrive.

alarm companies use the listen in feature to confirm someone is actualy breaking in.

So would a householder! So they dont have to travel from work if its a false alarm!

Dont point pirs at windows why?

some (not all) pirs are not imune to sunlight.

as all pirs work by seeing the movement of infra red heat as the glass warms up the pir may think it is some one moving since it can see some glass (warming) and wall or window surround (same temp) so the pir thinks "if in doubt activate"

it was also a common problem with early pis with car headlights, that is why most pirs have a white front to filter out white light

I was hoping to use the text messaging to let me know what sensor had activated, a friend of mine has this on their expensive pro fitted system and i like the idea. Not sure id use the listen in feature as if it was the wife id be more panicy thinking someone was running round my house!
I was thinking of using the listen in feature not when the alarm activated but also at other times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back