Heater Relay - Spec check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace a heater relay.

The part that needs replacing is rated the same as this component.

http://uk.farnell.com/nte-electronics/r46-5d12-6/relay-spdt-120vac-30vdc-12a/dp/1662141

However, this component does not seem to be available in the UK and requires shipping from the US (expensive for such a cheap part). Other firms require a minimum order of 5.

Checking for other similar rated relays available in the UK I came across this:

http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=253&products_id=1918

Looking at the Datasheet, as far as I can see, they look to have the same specification.

I would appreciate it if anyone else could confirm this.

Regards

Sponsored Links
You are most likely correct. I forgot the diagnosis and repair guide was via an American, which would explain this, and hence why this part is not available in the UK.

Thank you!

This is why this site is great...

Sponsored Links
OK, thoroughly inspected the failed component.

Spec as follows:

Coil: 6VDC
10A/250VAC

So the ones above look compatible.

But a guide on-line suggests to replace it with higher rated

Coil:6VDC
12A/250VAC

Struggling to find one of these (with the correct pin spacing too), will keep looking

Not sure - it is a relay on a dishwasher for the heater. There is no rating in the manual but after a good search some parts sites quote the heater at 2.1kw (which sounds about right).

The relay fault is a very common fault with it apparently. It slowly fails and then overheats which causes a the solder to detach on one pin.

I may just go with the rating of the original relay. It lasted for long enough I guess. The better rated one is proving hard to find in the correct configuration.

The original relay code/ref is sre303006.

2.1kW @ 240V (is it quoted at 240V?) is 8.75A so 10A relay should be alright.

Any relay higher than 10A would be ok - even 30A.

10A is the common rating for that sort of relay. Anything else is going to be hard to find.

Oh hang on. What's wrong with that "bitsbox" one that you linked in the first post?

Hmm, I thought that was also 120V (before I realised I was sourcing American parts), but looking at the data sheet it suggests that the 12A ones are specified up to 277V. Am I interpreting that correctly?

The only other one I have found is via those who have repaired it before who linked to this product

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270578013737?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It is an ebay item (which I am never too keen on) so I don't know if I can even trust the rating is accurate. Either way it is not available any more.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hmm, I might as well go with that one then.

Thanks for the spot on that and to all who chipped in with help.

All ordered,

There are two relays on the board, only one of which appears to have failed. Would it be best practice to replace both do you think? Or can you mix and match?

Up to you, but I wouldn't replace it. Sod's law applies though.
They certainly don't need to match. It's just a case of - will it also fail soon?
Do you know what it does? I would guess it's probably something using less current, so it should last longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back