Help to find a GC number

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon Obi Wan's (you may well be my only hope)

I have a Gloworm Spacesaver 50b MkII boiler that has gone on the Fritz, it is looking increasingly like the Gas valve is at fault and is causing the boiler to runaway with itself in water heating. So far this has cost us quite a lot of flooding and 3 months of sleeping on the living room floor.
I have had a plumber to look at the offending article and his advice would be a boiler replacement as the part(s) required are harder to find than a virgin in a maternity ward. That said I did come across this item on a cursory Google search

GAS VALVE

I e-mailed the supplier to ask if it would be a suitable replacement and they asked what my GC number was so they could confirm. Now the hard part, finding the GC number is as difficult as the afformentioned virgin; I see nothing in the manual and nothing on the external parts of the boiler that I am willing to mess with the only thing I have is the reference number AG 121 L/6/82 which is on the top right of the manual. The boiler is quite old so I could well believe that spares are no longer available but given the choice of £150 or £1000 I would rather try and go for the former.
Any help or advice would be most gratefully received and I thank you in advance for your time.

Paul

Sponsored Links
You sir are a legend and you would be welcome to marry my daughter any time........if I had one.......

Sadly however it would seem that the heating engineer is on the ball, the Gas valve looks to have been discontinued and a google search is not bringing up ny results. Ahh well, anyone want to buy a kidney?? hardly used honest.

Sponsored Links
That will be the 24vac ITT valve then? - they occasionaly show up a various tinternet supplier or possible E-bay, but you would need to get it fitted by a RGI willing to do it for you ;)

If you can get a new one then I would be willing to fit it for you if you were within 20 miles.

If you found a used one then I would consider it but charge a little more as further testing would be required.

If you are in Lancs then our OPGO friend might be able to help you if you were close to him.

Tony

If you can get a new one then I would be willing to fit it for you if you were within 20 miles.

If you found a used one then I would consider it but charge a little more as further testing would be required.

If you are in Lancs then our OPGO friend might be able to help you if you were close to him.

Tony

Gent's, many thanks for your kind offers however it is of course the 'finding' that presents the biggest problem. So far all my searching has brought up nought and to be frank whilst I know what i am looking for, I haven't got a scooby as to what it looks like which hampers things somewhat.

wow, This place is wonderful :) I will be spreading the word :D

Can you advise how safe it is or isn't to fit a second hand valve? would I be better off just biting the bullet for a new boiler?

wow, This place is wonderful :) I will be spreading the word :D

Can you advise how safe it is or isn't to fit a second hand valve? would I be better off just biting the bullet for a new boiler?

The only real problem is that you will have to pay for a fitter, and then could find it is faulty.

I have a brand new one, boxed. GC no 392 767. 24V 1/2" G/worm part no. K.9049. It was bought for a job that fell through. £135 + P&P at cost, if you are interested.

Yes, definitely interested, I will have a word with my fitter and make sure he is ok to go with that and i will get back to you this week if that's ok?

Yes, definitely interested, I will have a word with my fitter and make sure he is ok to go with that and i will get back to you this week if that's ok?

Okay, BV, either PM me or drop us aline at :

[email protected]

If you use the gmail, make sure you tell me here, as I don't look at that address regularly, and I will know it is you contacting and not a wind up :mrgreen:

I'll give you my phone number, and your fitter can talk to me, if he wishes.

Hey Fiireman, have spoke to the fitter who can do the work no probs, I just need to confirm the colour of the valve knob? I am led to believe there are two sizes of valve and the knob colour denotes which is which.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back