Stupid sink....

K

Keston

Ok I get boilers etc but when it comes to plumbing a sink i have no idea and so far i have been unable to solve an issue i have in the property I have just moved into.

The sink as far as I can tell is blocked..... however I have thrown untold amounts of crap down to clear it. took all the pipes I can see out and they are crystal clear.

What throws me off is once the water has gone from the sink (after a period of an hour?) i can pour small amounts of water into the sink and it will drain away fine providing the water doesn't completely cover the plug hole. if I was to fill up the sink the water wont drain and the plug hole seems to throw up some air bubbles.

Any clues on what this might mean?

Sponsored Links
Is the waste pipe at the correct drop along its length? Your not using a bottle trap on a sink are you? Should only use P or S traps on sinks.

Is the waste pipe at the correct drop along its length? Your not using a bottle trap on a sink are you? Should only use P or S traps on sinks.

Well here is the sink...

ilhlph.jpg
[/img]

have you taken the trap apart ? not a pleasant job but its got to be done, if that is a dishwasher connected to the trap, you have probably got pipes full of food waste if a washing machine then undissolved soap powder, good luck

Sponsored Links
The blockage could be much further down the line - see where the solvent weld goes into the unit base? Can you trace where it goes after that?
John :)

What throws me off is once the water has gone from the sink (after a period of an hour?) i can pour small amounts of water into the sink and it will drain away fine providing the water doesn't completely cover the plug hole. if I was to fill up the sink the water wont drain and the plug hole seems to throw up some air bubbles.

check the overflow isn't blocked.

Is it a trick of the light, or does the waste pipe really reduce to 32mm behind the trap?

Everything you see in that picture has been taken out out and cleaned apart from the pipes at the back which doesn't reduce in size :p

connected is the washing machine which wasn't pretty to take off, also cleaned the filter at the start of the issue as the washine machine was also filling up and found myself 50p :) at the time the washing machine pipe wasn't connect from above which I thought would solve It but didn't

it's just strange that providing water doesn't cover the entire plug hole it will drain away fine. But once u see them air bubbles then it will drain at the slowest speed known 2 man!!

Oh and the washine machine waste comes up the sink... Nice smell I have to admit ;)

anything relate to these air bubbles?

I can only assume it's blocked much further down but I can't get to them and the bubble thing stated above throws me off... Maybe I'm being dumb...

Cut out the waste as low as you can, pour water down the open end, if it doesn't run away there's ya problem, clean it out and put it back together using a McAlpine universal straight. Air bubbles are a sign of a blockage.

As said above, you have a blockage further down the pipe work. You could use a 'spring' or even a 'Pango' this is a air pressure gun that fires burst of air into waste pipes to move blockages. It does work.

After you have cleared your blockage, it is good pratice to run your washing machine on its hottest wash, empty and on full cycle. This should be done once a month to keep everything follwing nicely.

Andy

Interesting :!: I`ve seen a row of 12 houses - 4inch plastic drain SOLID with waste from w/machine sinks - because the archi tect :rolleyes: didn`t include the wc waste :idea: therefore a small volume of water and a lot of sludge - WC went out along the front of same houses - never blocked :cool:

Spoken 2 the landlord, turns out she had the same problem about a year ago but the cause (after having dyno rob out for a day) was actually an issue with a neighbours piping? No idea but in her hands now...

Mwahaha

What is the water like? We have very hard water in this area, and powder detergents dont dissolve very well. Been out to countless septic tanks (and blocked gullies) where powder hasnt dissolved in the wash cycle properly and then congealed in the tank (or gully).....

Handy thing about being a tenant, its landlords problem. (Not so handy when you are the landlord though.....) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back