Sub Base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having new patio put down, sand stone.

There has been Type 1 min 100mm whacked down. The next step I thought was a sand/cement mix mortar that the sandstone is laid onto, on a 1 by 1 basis.

However they are going to do the above, but before the mortar mix goes down, Geo fabrix is going down and sharp sand then whacked down? I've never heard of it being done this way?

Sponsored Links
Yeah that's a bit random, i don't see why it will help anything, i wouldn't do that, just adding a risk of the sand escaping

He basically has told me in writing the process is....for all sandstone paving is a sub base of type1 then compact, then the layer of sharp sand and compact followed by the mortar and slabs.

As its in in writing I guess I now have some come back should I need it, he never mentioned the Geo fabric in the email, but I have gone back to confirm that he is putting Geo fabric between Type 1 and sand, and
confirmed.

I know form what I've read across various websites, inc manufacturers and watched many installs online this is not correct. I have read on some occasions sharp sand can be used as a very thin coating to bind into the type 1 and fill any gaps. However if he uses Geo fabric between then that eliminates any binding.

It just seems bizarre to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back