Layer(s) below resin bound surface on existing bases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(originally posted in Building forum, at //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/layers-below-resin-bound-surface-on-existing-bases.432746/, but probably more relevant here - post slighted edited here)

Hello all. Had a good search before posting but couldn't find anything similar - if you are aware of this being answered before, please redirect me!

I am planning on putting down a patio finished using resin bound aggregate. The existing surface is a split of two areas: 1) secured and stable sandstone paving on mortar base, and 2) loose sand with stones (this was previously underneath a thick later of concrete that was the base of a conservatory).

The paving is approx 190mm below the level I need it to be before the resin sits on top and the sand/stone surface is approx 130mm below.

My plan is as follows, given very light traffic over the finished surface: level the sand area then compact before adding 5:1 sharp sand/cement mix. For the paving area, cover paving with plastic sheet then add either add some form of crushed hardcore/aggregate or sharp sand base, then compact it before adding same mortar mix to bring to level.

Could someone please validate my plan or tell me to tear it up and advise a better method! Any approximate heights for the levels would be gratefully received too (e.g. for the sand area, I should use 50mm of mortar so add another 80mm of compacted sharp sand before the mortar)[/url]

Sponsored Links
You cant have any kind of unbound material under resin bound or bonded gravel. Compact sand has no place anywhere under a surface like this.

The normal surface it is laid onto is either base course bitmac or a solid concrete base.

Trying to have different surfaces will almost certainly result in reflective cracking of the finished surface.

You really would best best lifting the paving and bringing the whole lot up in compacted hardcore then finishing with either 4-5 inches of concrete or base course bitmac.

Speak to the man who will be laying the resin bound to see what he wants to lay on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back