Sub floor advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to lay vinyl floor tiles in my bathroom and I'm unsure about the type of sub-floor I'll need to put down. I was going to use 16mm ply as this seems to be a bit easier than hardboard. Is this OK or is it too thick?

Also, I'm planning to seal it with PVA. Can ayone tell me the ratio at which I should mix the PVA and how many coats it will need, I think it's 1 part PVA to 4 parts water but I'm not sure.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Is there any flooring down at present? If not, screw down 18 or 25mm WBP ply to the joists (with extra support under the joints). If floorboards are fitted, you should be ok with 6mm ply over the top.
Regarding sealing - are the tiles self adhesive? If not, what do the instructions say on the adhesive you plan to use? I would have thought that they wouldn't have mentioned PVAing the ply at all.

We've got floorboards down at the minute.

The tiles are self-adhesive. The instructions say to make sure that plywood is sealed with a suitable primer but it doesn't give any examples. Any ideas of what I should use?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back