Bathroom floor, ply thickness??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend to cover a bathroom floor in ceramic tiles.

I removed the existing 16mm hardboard and intend to replace with outdoor quality ply.

The batroom floor will be approx 1.7metres square, could somebody please tell me the thickness of the ply i should use. I am unsure whether I need 12mm or 15mm....many thanks

Also I had to cut out the hardboard floor area,,,which went under the skirting and bath to the next room, do i need to seal the joining edges where they meet or is the sealing best done after I have layed re tiles? ..Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
The reason the previous flooring went through to the next room is that it was installed before the stud walls were erected.

I assume that your cutting away of the previous floor is quite rough as its very difficult to cut dead straight in those areas. You can fill those gaps if you want to but I would not bother as once the new tiles are down and the new skirting installed the room will become sealed once more.

Whatever thickness ply you use once the tiles are applied you will have a step up into your bathroom.

If you do take this route make sure you use Water Resistant Ply not just ordinary plywood. Marine Ply is considered overkill and not required being as it will not be submerged.

You may even consider splashing out on some of this, the profesional way of doing it and for best results....
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/flooring/tile/prep1/cement_backer.htm

Hope this helps...! :cool:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Gary, thanks for the response.....I will go for the water resistant ply.....the wonderboard method looks a little beyond my humble Diy skills.

My question with thickness was to prevent any movement, I guuess 15mm is best? the extra 3mm probably won't make that much difference as the tiles will add height anyhow......Tks

I'd go for 25mm and make sure its screwed down adequately...!

Less Flexibility, Less Cracking....! ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
As an old bathroom fitter/tiler ,
18 mm wbp or marine is enough , at that area specified

go the whole hog an go marine , shop about as timber merchants are robbers .. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back