sub-floor musty odours - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone would be able to give me some advice.

I've got a ground floor flat on which we had some damp proofing work done about 8-9 months ago - a new damp proof course was installed in a bay window at the front of the house.

Unfortunately, there's a strong musty odour coming up from between the wooden floorboards. There's no visible evidence of damp or mould. And I looked underneath one of the floorboards and didn't see anything unusual and the area was clear.

I spoke to a company on the 'phone and I was told that it might be wet rot - but I'm not totally sure.

If I've had the damp proofing done and there's no moisture penetration, will the smell just eventually disappear as previously damp areas dry out?

I do know there was a significant leak in the property before we bought it - around 18 months ago. But this mainly affected the neighbours and I've spoken to them and they have no problem on their side anymore.

I don't want to shell out for unnecessary work but I don't want to take too many risks and end up with a ruined floor. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

The floorboard I lifted wasn't at the front of the room - so I couldn't see the airbricks. But there are 3 at the front of the property.

I tried poking through the holes with a bamboo skewer - and some of the holes allowed the skewer through easily. And some of them didn't - I did wonder if that meant there was something on the other side of the airbricks that shouldn't be there.

Either way Jacob, any underfloor void needs ventilation, the more the better, in fact.
There's every chance the airbricks are clear......just because the skewer didn't vanish into space doesn't matter - it was probably just touching the inner leaf of the cavity wall.
Ideally there should be air bricks at the front and back of the house, to provide air exchange.....are there any more to be seen, and how about your neighbours - do they have any more than you?
Personally I'd lift some more floorboards, just to see what's going on. There will always be some sort of musty smell, but there should be a draught too!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yeah, there are 2 more at the back of the house.

Is there a way of checking if the airbricks are clear without lifting the floorboards? The skirting board is curved and I'm worried about breaking it!

There's no need to go right up to the skirting, one or two boards back will do.
In fact, if your house has been rewired at some time, there may be boards already disturbed!
It's always good to know what's going on, sub floor....rot and decay progress very slowly!
Extra air bricks can be installed fairly easily....I would say you have the minimum required but of course I can't see the situation.

Thanks for the advice John.

I see from your profile you're a retired teacher from Northumberland? No chance you taught at King Edwards in Morpeth, is there?!

Small world, Jacob.....King Eddies was mine from 1965 until 1972 - after that, Kenton School Newcastle took my life until 2007 or thereabouts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back