Sugar Soap .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please tell me the uses for sugar soap ? I've heard it mentioned a lot, but I don't know it's uses .

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sugar soap is actually caustic soda, or to give it its proper name sodium hydroxide.

Main use domestically is to wash down surfaces prior to painting to provide a clean, grease free, (ack breezer) surface for the paint to adhere to. Also removes silicon or wax based polishes, which can cause problems if not removed prior to painting. Wearing of gloves and eyesheilds is advisable, especially if being used above shoulder height. :D

Sugar soap is actually caustic soda, or to give it its proper name sodium hydroxide.

Sugar soap is sodium phosphate, not hydroxide. It's as chemically similar to caustic soda as table salt (sodium chloride) is.

Sugar soap is non-caustic, non-corrosive, and safer than most of the cleaners you use regularly.

Sponsored Links
Definitely recommend using it before painting non-new walls or surfaces in the home.

Sugar soap is sodium phosphate, not hydroxide. It's as chemically similar to caustic soda as table salt (sodium chloride) is.
Only 20 years late! ;)

But I'm afraid you're partially incorrect.
"Sugar Soap" is a bit of a catch-all term. The chemical composition is down to the manufacturer and tends to have different ingredients, in different parts of the world.
Trisodium Phosphate has been used widely in the US, for example.
Sodium Hydroxide has traditionally been used here, but isn't very common now - although it is still around...

Screenshot_20230516-150302_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

As with most chemicals, if you don't know exactly what you are dealing with, read the instructions / download the MSDS.

I use gloss off or zinsser pre paint cleaner

All I know is:

- It cleans up wallpaper paste fairly well
- It hurts like hell when it gets in your eyes, and moderately on the skin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back