Suggest some trees please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a fence at the bottom of the garden that I'd like to conceal with trees. I'd also like these trees to grow higher than the fence for increased privacy.

The slight trouble is that I have a very large Willow right by the fence that creates a lot of shade and sucks up a lot of water.

I'd really like a fast growing conifer hedge to do this but need help on selecting the appropriate tree species.

THanks.

Sponsored Links
I would advise laurel, will grow well in dry soil and shade but be much easier to keep than a conifer as it only needs cutting once a year is also more resistant to diseases and pests than common conifers, i see plenty now with brown pacthes a plenty cause by aphid and spider mites.

If your heart set on a conifer go for a thuja as they will tolerate hard pruning better than the cypress varieties.

Laurel will take a fraction longer to establish a thick hedge.

Nah, trees take forever, and they're only 'appropriate' for a couple of years.. (too small, too small, too small, too small, fine, too big, too big, too big, too big, etc)

Put your own fence in... one that you like, and consider painting it a nice brown, or even green... green fences do 'disappear' pretty well.

For me, conifers are horrible, and trees are lovely, but they take ove eventually !

I like a bit of copper beach,especially in the autumn/winter, but that's just me. They will be slow to grow and probably not as good as a fence for privacy. You could consider fence panels (instant privacy) and plant beach hedging to take the bare look off them?

Sponsored Links
WHAT ABOUT BAMBOO YOU CAN LOADS OF varieties AND SIZES REAL HARDY AS WELL AND CAN BE ORNAMENTAL BUT DON'T GO TO THE BIG SHEDS USE THE GARDEN CENTRES OR NURSERIES

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back