Suggestions for Cellar Floor (damp proofing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent the last few months working on damp proofing our cellar (house is ~1850s) and I'm wondering what's going to be the best way to finish the floor. Plan is for a bit of a home cinema / playroom.

I'm pretty satisfied with the walls now - I've used 8mm dimpled membrane all the way around and cut a perimeter drainage channel in the floor slab, installed a decent sump etc. I've drilled holes around the sump chamber itself, which seems to be doing a pretty good job of draining the surrounding ground too.

Previously, there'd usually be about an inch of water down there for 6 months of the year.

State so far

The damp on the floor in the pictures is mainly from the new concrete that had just gone down to close the channels - it's almost dried out now.

The ventilation is reasonable and I'm planning to have a dehumidifier down there to help too.

The walls and ceiling will be plasterboarded and skimmed.

I'm now at a stage where I need to decide what to do with the floor. Id like to ulimately carpet it. Head hight is an absolute premium down there and I can't really lose more than a few mm. The concrete floor is about 70mm thick and has no DPC, with clay soil beneath.

Its difficult to tell how bad the slab will be for moisture - its dusty dry at the moment but I'm not too confident about laying carpet directly on top of it.

Plan A was to put 8mm dimpled membrane on the floor, float board over and carpet. Unfortunately theres just not sufficient head height for this.

Ive got a few rough patches to self-level (latex?)

I'm wondering about either using slimline 1mm membrane (https://www.permagard.co.uk/p-seal-1-floor-40m.html) or maybe epoxy coating such as https://www.permagard.co.uk/liquid-epoxy-damp-proof-membrane-5-litres.html - or even just paint?

What would be the suggested way to handle this?

Also, how would carpet be 'fixed'? Presumably gripper strips aren't easily fixed and glue probably isn't ideal either?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
tell us about the dpm under the floor slab, and how it is isolated from water running down the walls.

There is no DPM under the slab

The slab itself is not in direct contact with the walls, but does sit directly on the soil/clay

This sort of arrangement -

002_basement_tanking_basement_waterproofing_membrane_cellar_belfast_dublin_northern_ireland_ni_copy_198x299.jpg

perimeter-drainage-channel-and-membrane.jpg

The space between the channel and the slab has been re-filled with concrete

Sponsored Links
So ........... does/is it wet? Presumably if the walls have been letting a lot through .........

With no give on the headroom what else could you do apart from apply a membrane and hope for the best.

how do you feel about breaking up and digging out the old floor?

how do you feel about breaking up and digging out the old floor?
I would have loved to, but we dug a couple inspection pits and found that the foundations aren't really deep enough do anything worthwhile. It's mean underpinning all around which is beyond the realms of my DIY capabilities (and budget)

Well it brings us back to the question of what kind of water seepage are you gonna get, if there is anything great it will blow off any membrane or coating, that's why a dpm always goes under the slab/screed, so that its held in place with some weight. Without any weight it may well blow/lift, depending on the pressure. Hard to know.

That's the beauty of the dimpled membrane systems, they don't rely on pressure.

So probably a bitumen based brush applied dpm I guess. Then see what happens ......

Well it brings us back to the question of what kind of water seepage are you gonna get, if there is anything great it will blow off any membrane or coating, that's why a dpm always goes under the slab/screed, so that its held in place with some weight. Without any weight it may well blow/lift, depending on the pressure. Hard to know.
It's not going to be too bad I think - I dont think it's going to be any major pressure now as the sump is now doing a pretty good job of draining the ground under the floor (there's holes drilled in the sides of the sump chamber).

So probably a bitumen based brush applied dpm I guess. Then see what happens ......
Ok, great. That's what I was leaning towards - so without anyone saying it's a stupid idea, I'll give it a go!

Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back