Suggestions please to stop a running outlet feeding into a water butt when it pours with rain ?

You can buy overflow connectors for water butts. Fit an overflow, attach suitable hose pipe and run the hose down the garden.

Sponsored Links
Due to the nature of water finding it's level, you can put your water butts anywhere - close to each other, far apart, elsewhere in the garden etc.
...and you can also run your overflow from the butts to wherever you like - if you have a drain or place for it to go anywhere else ... as long as it's downhill from the top of the butts.
I just drilled a hosepipe size hole near the top of mine and stuck a hosepipe in it, but you can put a proper connector in if you want.

Thanks for all the useful suggestions.

I have decided to take Old Salt and StephenStephen's advice and replace the overflow with a water butt hose connector if I can find where to buy one !

Then connect a hose to it, run it down to a flower bed and connect the hose to a soaker hose.

Sponsored Links
You put the hose in it and tighten.

Andy

Thanks again Andy.

I understand that a hose without any hoselock style connector could be pushed in and then the fitting tightened down.

I have a hose with a hoselock connector attached which I don't want to remove from the hose.

I was looking for a connector that attaches to the water butt with hoselock male connector just like you use on a garden tap then I could simply push my hose on to the connector on the water butt and remove the hose when I wanted to use the hose elsewhere.

I was looking for a connector that attaches to the water butt with hoselock male connector
No idea is that exists, but you can:
- Fit one of the connectors that Andy listed to the water butt
- Attach a short piece of hose to that
- Fit another connector to the other end of the hose
- Pop a male to male connector in the loose end

Here
https://www.toolstation.com/plastic-hose-connector-set/p42950
is a set that has all the connectors

Surely there exists a float valve for in this size pipe?
Something akin to a tennis ball that rises when in water blocking the entrance, thus forcing the water to fill the pipe and then it would all use the neighbours downspout?
If you cannot find one then I'm sure you could make one, it only takes a tennis ball and some pegs and a bit of piping.

The photo looks like 2 butts? are they connected if so?

BTW does the neighbour have the downspout going into a drain?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back