Suggestions please to stop a running outlet feeding into a water butt when it pours with rain ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house doesn’t have a downpipe suitable for a diverter into a water butt.

Our garage is attached to our neighbours garage and the guttering on the back of our garage crosses over the fence and discharges water in to the neighbours drain.

We have a running outlet in our guttering which feeds into our water but, when it pours with rain the water butt overflows on to the patio.

To stop the water entering the water butt in the summer I block off the running outlet hole with a tennis ball wrapped in polythene. In the winter I duck tape over the running outlet.

Is there a running outlet with a sliding mechanism which can be operated to allow the water through or stop the water going through ?

I have thought about laying another section of guttering over the hole in the running outlet to prevent the water going through.

Does anyone have any better ideas please ?

Sponsored Links
What about fitting an overflow to the water butt, that runs to a drain/soakaway/another water butt

a photo or diagram would help?
My water butt is fed from a plastic downpipe with an adaptor that feeds concertina narrow bore pipe.
This feeds a blue MDPE pipe that runs under a path to a buttt.

It would be easy for me to add a two way diverter tap between the convoluted pipe and the Blue.
Then one side could go down the drain when I chose.

Why not just empty th water butt? either to water the garden or just to drain away?
You could fit a leaky hose to it so it doesn't soak a path etc.

Sponsored Links
What about fitting an overflow to the water butt, that runs to a drain/soakaway/another water butt
We have two water butts connected to each other and they both overflow eventually when we get downpours.

Your idea of a hose from the tap on the second water butt to drain the water away from the house is something I have been considering.

Why is the downpipe not suitable for a diverter? Is this because you do not have a drain on your side of the property?

Due to previous owners alterations to the property, there is no suitable space to put a water butt next to the one and only downpipe !

The previous owners installed the water butts underneath some guttering on the garage flat roof .... the guttering continues over the fence along the adjoining neighbours garage and then enters the neighbours downpipe.

a photo or diagram would help?
My water butt is fed from a plastic downpipe with an adaptor that feeds concertina narrow bore pipe.
This feeds a blue MDPE pipe that runs under a path to a buttt.

It would be easy for me to add a two way diverter tap between the convoluted pipe and the Blue.
Then one side could go down the drain when I chose.

Why not just empty th water butt? either to water the garden or just to drain away?
You could fit a leaky hose to it so it doesn't soak a path etc.

There is no drain connected downpipe to fit a diverter to, otherwise I would have done that.

The water butt is underneath some guttering on the garage flat roof, the guttering has a running outlet which drops water straight into the water butt.

The guttering continues over the fence along the adjoining neighbours garage and then enters the neighbours downpipe.

A "leaky" hose may be my only option.

You could connect an overflow from one butt to another.
Mine goes a good 20 feet underground before coming up to the butt.
Ultimately you’ll end up with overflow if you don’t allow the water to either escape naturally or pour it away

as mentioned a photo or drawing would help
We have a running outlet in our guttering which feeds into our water but, when it pours with rain the water butt overflows on to the patio.
when you do this
To stop the water entering the water butt in the summer I block off the running outlet hole with a tennis ball wrapped in polythene. In the winter I duck tape over the running outlet.
does the water carry on in the gutter ??? so stopping the water going into the butt , does not then make the gutter overflow at all

is this something like you are after - not sure of the sizes
is the downpipe from gutter 68m
then maybe a reduce from 68mm to 40mm
https://www.originalorganics.co.uk/...-2ptOk_HpjiNRIeAlufeSKeFmN12XJrBoCDRkQAvD_BwE
this is 40mm isolation valve
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Fa...HMWG99V/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B08HMWG99V&psc=1

Not sure if you will get a reduce from the downpipe to the 40mm ,
they do 32mm taps as well

your dont really care about the flow of the water as i assume if turned off - it simple carries on to neighbours and outputs there into the drain/soakaway

all you after is a full water butt - so a 32mm/40mm may give an ok flow to fill the water butt

as mentioned a photo or drawing would help

I will take a photo and put it up tomorrow.

does the water carry on in the gutter ??? so stopping the water going into the butt , does not then make the gutter overflow at all

your dont really care about the flow of the water as i assume if turned off - it simple carries on to neighbours and outputs there into the drain/soakaway

Correct ! The gutter does not overflow because with the running outlet blocked by a tennis ball or duct tape , the water carries on along the gutter which continues over the fence and connects to the neighbours downpipe and so the water goes into their drain.

I really like your idea and will measure up tomorrow to see whether the Downpipe Reducer and Plastic Ball Valve will fit and do the trick.

I should have put these up earlier but better late than never.

The pictures show my guttering catches the rain from my flat roof and my running outlet allows water to drop in to my water butt.

The guttering continues over the fence and connects with the neighbours downpipe which also has a running outlet which connects to the neighbours downpipe and into their drain.

I do not have a drain on my side unfortunately and if my water butt gets too full it overflows.
IMG_20220225_094459874_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220225_094459874_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220225_094434525_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220225_094434525_HDR.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 59
Two solutions I can think of?

Fit an overflow pipe to the butt and (with permission) feed it into the neighbour's downpipe.
It can go through or under the fence, could be fixed to the downpipe with a boss, or just use the open drain if there is one?

Second, simply fit a tap to either the top or bottom of your downpipe.
You'd need to use narrower pipe to find a size available with a valve.
You might suffer freezing in winter if the down supply is full of water?

You could even figure a ballcock into the system that lives in the tank and shuts off the pipe.

Thanks Tigercubrider.

Fit an overflow pipe to the butt and (with permission) feed it into the neighbour's downpipe.

The neighbour says no !

Second, simply fit a tap to either the top or bottom of your downpipe.
You'd need to use narrower pipe to find a size available with a valve.

The running outlet is 6.5cm wide from which the downpipe, also 6.5cm wide is fitted so it wont take a narrower pipe for a tap.

You could even figure a ballcock into the system that lives in the tank and shuts off the pipe.

I haven't see a ballcock which would shut off a 6.5cm wide supply coming from above the ball cock.

Perhaps you would post a link to one of these if you kwno where I could find one.

How handy are you? I would doubt you could buy a reducer off the shelf so could you cut a piece of plastic of suitable diameter and glue it inside the downpipe. Perhaps glue some 22mm pipe or use a threaded coupler into a hole in this blanking piece to feed a ball valve as others have suggested?

Could you find a local company that has offcuts that you could try with?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back