Suggestions to reattach stone fireplace to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved into a house that has some form of stone fire surround which recently decided to come away from the wall! Its not the fixing to the wall that has come away, but the fixing to the fireplace itself.

The metal concealed fixing brackets looked like they were connected to the stone using some form of resin/adhesive, and not screws/bolts. Im not sure of the construction of the fireplace, and had assumed it may be limestone, however, after experimenting by drilling some small holes, it seems very powdery (possible some form of cast stone?), and screws dont seem to take a hold. Ive tried various different types of screw, but they just end up drilling a hole.

Im now left not really knowing how to re-attach it to the wall... If I have to use an adhesive with a bracket, Id much rather have a bracket with a larger surface area to attach to the stone, but cant find anything. The edge that is in contact with the wall is perhaps at most 25mm, so I dont want to just use adhesive/cement for fear of it falling away.

Would appreciate any advice...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Im trying to reattach a stone fine place to the wall... I had read that due to their wieght, not to use an adhesive, but mechanical fixings.

Sponsored Links
That was how it was originally done, I assume that when you buy these surrounds the fixings come pre-attached, blued.. the stone upright fell away from the glue, which is why Im trying to find a more secure method. Think I will jest settle for using blots thorugh the sides of the uprights, then cap or paint them to disguise them.. id rather this, than them fall off and hurt the kids!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back