Suitable timber to build outdoor storage box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not the best at DIY, in fact i'd be up there giving the worst a run for their money, but i think surely even I can manage something like this :LOL::LOL::LOL: (he says!)

I bought a plastic one from Argos this week (Twice), on the cheap. I didn't expect great quality but also i didn't expect that panels would come broken in the packaging ... on both occasions.

I've had a look online & they're pushing £100 for the cheapest wooden one, so i figure if i can get the materials in for a fair bit less than that then all it's costing me is time, plus i can do it to measure. If the cost will be pushing £100 then i may as well buy one already done.

All i'll be storing is wood in it so that it's not kept in my shed which is getting full. Though i don't want a log store (search log store & the images all show open fronts for the rain to soak your wood proper - i'll be wanting a lid to the box, maybe have holes in the rear for airflow).

I would imagine using either 2x2 or 3x2 for the corners/framework. Tannelised/pressure treated?
Then there's the sides. My work doesn't sell a lot of sheeting. It's chinese ply & 'hardwood' or 'exterior' ply but i imagine it wouldn't be too great left outside in all weathers? So is there something else you'd get that's tannelised or would you just paint the ply with some weatherproof paint?

Then i guess the lid would be same material as sides & you'd just felt it.

Something basic that does the job.

Sponsored Links
What I did.....
Scrounged a good quality pallet, in good nick. Bolted decking timber uprights onto each corner, kept two shorter than the others. Braced the uprights and used more decking timber to provide a sloping roof, then used a brace mid way up to resist spreading.
I keep the heavy rain off with a tarpaulin, but usually I just leave the logs open ......it's just the outer layer that gets wet.
John :)

Not in the rain we're having right now :LOL: it'll be soaked.

I can get pallets no problem but the biggest pallet we'd do, the slats would only be around 1mtr long & i was looking for something a little bigger actually.

Though come to think of it, i've just realised where i can pick up the corners for free so that'll help & i'll see if they can sort me out with the rest of the panelling.

Thanks for the info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back