sulphate levels concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We own a 1950's semi which we are in the process of selling. Homebuyers survey commented on an uneven floor in the front room which could be due to sulphate attack. i knew it wasnt that (wont go in to that) but the buyer insisted on a floor survery which we paid for

engineer came out and looked at the floor- said there was no sign of sulphate attack, either to the floors or externally to the building. age of house and location meant that sulphate containing hardcore were however likely and we were put in a difficult position by the surveyor and had no choice but to go for floor sampling

report has come back at 1580mg, just in to class 3. however, engineer states the hardcore is dry so he considers the property low risk and doesnt suggest any remedial works are needed or will be needed inthe future

buyer wants me to take £7500 off the purchase price in case the hardcore ever becomes wet and needs replacing.

any experts? thoughts? we're supposed to be completing in 3 weeks and this is all last minute.

Sponsored Links
If I was working for you ....

Find another buyer. You have done what they asked, got an expert report, and they should be bound by it's findings, not using it as a lever to bang you on the head with.

If I was advising the buyer ...

Despite it being dry now, the sulphate content is such that some future raised ground moisture level such as a wet season or defective drain, could activate the fill and so its a high risk purchase.

Now, mortgage companies tend not to lend on properties with sulphate risk. Is the buyer a cash buyer or is the purchase to be mortgaged? They may be trying it on. Offer to tell their mortgage company about the report, if they decline then they are trying it on.

Or offer a "good will" reduction to based on any minor costs you may incur if they pull out. It's just a game of bluff really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back