Sun awning automation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know of a generic wind sensor for a sun awning?

I have a no name tubular motor for my awning and would like to have it retract should the wind pick up (it's a really windy garden)

The only ones I seem to be able to find are related to specific brands of motor / awning

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wire a reed relay contact in parallel with the "close" button on the controller. Wire the relay coil via bridge rectifier to the output of a small wind driven generator. A model aircraft propeller on a small DC motor might do the job for a small sensitive 5volt reed relay. Fit the motor and prop on a swivel with a vane to keep it facing into the wind. If it is too sensitive and closes in a gentle breeze put some resistance between motor and the relay coil.

Very elegant fix to the problem.
How will you stop over voltage to the relay coil, when the wind comes up? I was trying to think of a way around it, but failed.
If you look at the specification of the wind sensors, they will probably control your motor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, on further investigation (not having a clue where to start with this!) I've decided to stick with the light switch option I've got and just 'watch out' for the wind!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back