Automatic awnings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Does anyone here have any experiencing of using or installing awnings for their garden?

I'm renovating my property and running wiring everywhere and would like to do a first fix so I dont need to run cables again later. I have a large patio approx. 4m wide and another 4m wide for a separate patio section.

How are these awnings powered, via a external socket or spur? And to activate it I guess by remote control?

Who are the good companies out there and what pitfalls should I consider when considering an awning?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I had one at my last house put in by Regal. It was plugged into an existing outside socket which must not be switched off otherwise it will not be able to come in on a windy day. An unswitched FCU might be better but the installers would not do any notifiable garden wiring.
I switched off the auto sun section (with the remote) as it was constantly going in and out with every passing cloud.

Thanks for the reply.

So, I was thinking of installing an external IP rated 3 pin socket above the patio doors to the left.

Did you have a lot of ugly cabling showing against the brick wall? Which side was the motor on?

I presume the remote control will work inside the house or do you have to go outside and have line of sight?

The motor was on the left. There was one mains cable down to the socket and two small control cables to the wind sensor and sun sensor on the roof (single story extension).

The remote control is radio not infra red and worked inside the house.

Sponsored Links
If I'm not fussed about the sun sensor automatically activating the blind and don't want to see ugly cables going over my parapet wall, I guess this can all be left off and I just activate with the radio remote whenever?

Can I ask how much you had to budget paying for these awnings / size?

You must not disable the wind sensor. Unless you want it torn off the wall when you go out and forget to retract it.

It was about 3 metres wide and a similar depth. Really can’t remember the cost now. It was 15 odd years ago.

TBH I'd probably just keep it closed and manually open it when need it. But point taken about the sensor.

Do you recall whether there was a choice of which way the motor was positioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back