New patio awning wiring - faulty motor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new full-cassette motorized awning from Primrose awnings. It seems to retract ok, but when I try to extend the awning outwards, it's making a buzzing noise and blowing a fuse when I try to extend it.

I spoke to Primrose, and they're telling me I need to confirm it's been wired correctly before they can proceed.

I purchased a Schellenberg 25010 Awning Switch for Outside Installation switch from Amazon to control it, which seems to get plenty of decent reviews. The instructions were in German but I can't really see how I could go wrong.

In terms of wiring, I wired it as follows using wago 221's:

1694792113316.png

Would someone be kind enough to confirm this should work as expected, and that I'm not missing something obvious? I'm inclined to think it's a faulty motor, but want to be sure it's not something I've done! :giggle:

cheers

Sponsored Links
Have another look you've got the neutral going to the switch.
It isnt on the drawing

thanks Pete, I think what's confused me is that Primrose show all wires going to their own brand of awning switch (which I didn't purchase) which then goes to mains power. The Schellenberg switch was half the price so went with that instead.

So do I only have the live and the black wire going to the switch?

The brown from the plug goes to L1 in the switch

The up down goes to brown and black on the 4 core (motor)

Neutral from plug straight to 4 core (motor)

Sponsored Links
just tried it and it worked! :giggle:(y)

Thank you both, really appreciate it! This forum (and the people on it!) are a real god-send at times!

Cheers, and have a great weekend!

I decided to "upgrade" the switch to a fancy one that includes Amazon Alexa so that we can say "Alexa, open awning", etc, but noticed this new one requires the neutral wire.

Would the following change to the wiring be correct?

1696593338587.png

Attachments

• 1696588839844.png
    1696588839844.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
You should not use the green/yellow wire for anything but Earth, Even if the new switch does not require an Earth the operate the cable to the new switch has Live wires and thus requires an Earth conductor in the cable.

Use 5 core cable ( 4 core + Earth )

Your brown wire from the 3 core plug should not be directly connected to the Brown Awning wire.
Your above wiring diagram connects Mains LIVE permanently (all the time) to the Brown Awning Wire, meaning Awning will try to go Down all the time.

To fix this, in the wiska box, the Grey switch wire (carring Switched Live) that comes from the switch should be connected to the Brown wire going to the Awning.

To explain.
-The motor in the Awning is always connected to the Neutral.
-The Awning is never connected to live until the switch is pressed.
-When you want Awning to go up the switch connects Switched Live (via the Black switch wire) to the Black the Awning Wire.
-When you want Awning to go down the switch connects Switched Live (via the Grey switch wire) to the Brown the Awning Wire.
(up and down are assumed by me and might be reversed).

Last edited:
Your brown wire from the 3 core plug should not be directly connected to the brown Awning wire.
Your above wiring diagram connects Mains LIVE permanently (all the time) to Brown Awning Wire, meaning Awning will try to go Down all the time.

To fix this, in the wiska box, the Grey switch wire (carring Switched Live) that comes from the switch should be connected to the Brown wire going to the Awning.

To explain.
-The motor in the Awning is always connected to the Neutral.
-The Awning is never connected to live until the switch is pressed.
-When you want Awning to go up the switch connects Switched Live (via the Black switch wire) to the Black the Awning Wire.
-When you want Awning to go down the switch connects Switched Live (via the Grey switch wire) to the Brown the Awning Wire.
(up and down are assumed by me and might be reversed).

ah ok, so like this?

1696601947946.png

Yes - wiring exactly like that.

Please can you show us a web link to the "fancy switch that includes Amazon Alexa"?

Asking as worried about how it knows when the awning is up or down.
If it stays on too long it might burn out motor if motor does not have protection.

When you hold the current switch DOWN for a long time, does the motor auto stop, or does it keep trying to close the Awning?

thx SFK

Yes - wiring exactly like that.

Please can you show us a web link to the "fancy switch that includes Amazon Alexa"?

Asking as worried about how it knows when the awning is up or down.
If it stays on too long it might burn out motor if motor does not have protection.

When you hold the current switch DOWN for a long time, does the motor auto stop, or does it keep trying to close the Awning?

thx SFK

thanks, this is what I've ordered:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back