Ceiling fan wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought this ceiling fan with remote from Amazon on a Black Friday deal, on the assumption that I could just wire it into the light circuit and use the normal light switch.

Let me quote from the manual though:

Safety Precautions

6. Do not connect the fan's power supply to any dimmers, potentiometers, or light switches, as it will cause the fan to malfunction and/or will damage the motor. The fan must be directly connected to a properly protected installation circuit (magnetothermal differential switch with the adequate size for the fan's consumption and technical specifications). Only use the fan's control to turn it on or stop it.

I've read the reviews for the fan, and watched YouTube videos on wiring fans in, and people seem to just be using the lighting circuit and the light switch... I guess the actual question is, giving what is stated in the manual, is that right or wrong...?

Also, I have no idea what a 'magnetothermal differential switch' even is.

Sponsored Links
""magnetothermal differential switch "" is an RCBO. which is an MCB and an RCD combined.

The fan's controller will ( should ) control the rate of acceleration / deceleration when the fan starts and stops. This reduces the twisting forces on the fixings to the ceiling. Without care this twisting force can result in the fan tearing the fixings out of the ceiling

""magnetothermal differential switch "" is an RCBO. which is an MCB and an RCD combined.

The fan's controller will ( should ) control the rate of acceleration / deceleration when the fan starts and stops. This reduces the twisting forces on the fixings to the ceiling. Without care this twisting force can result in the fan tearing the fixings out of the ceiling
OK, but do I actually need one, or are they just being over-cautious in the manual by recommending such a thing?

My understanding is that as a DIY'er I'm not allowed to touch the 'consumer unit', and I'd need a qualified electrician to put such a thing in.

If I do need one, how do I know how many amps it needs to be rated for?

(and if it makes a difference, I have 3 of the fans, for 3 separate rooms in a flat)

Sponsored Links
Send a pic of the wiring and manual please.

What is the wattage of this fan?
On the motor housing it says "38W (Fan) 18W (LED Light)"

On the base / mounting plate it just has simple Live, Earth, and Neutral terminals, that run to a push-fit connector that connects to the main motor housing. Nothing special or complicated. (in my novice opinion)

I don't think there's anything of interest in the manual regarding the wiring. There is a single picture where "House power" is connected to the LEN terminals that I mentioned. That's it.

Ok. 38W is acceptable, don't worry.
Send a picture of the existing wiring.
Acceptable in what regard...? If I'm going to disregard what it says in the manual, I need to know exactly on what grounds I'm doing it.

The existing wiring is just standard ceiling rose wiring.

Again; I'd really need an explanation as to why I would disobey the manufacturer's advice...

Q. Does your lighting circuit have an RCBO or alternatively an MCB and an RCD?

Q. Does your lighting circuit have an RCBO or alternatively an MCB and an RCD?
Appears to just be a single MCB for the Lights.

If you zoom in on the very bottom right, under the main switch, it says "CIRCUITS NOT RCD PROTECTED".

IMG_20231127_144125783.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back