ceiling fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have just bought a westinghouse ceiling fan?/light and a wall control switch which controls the fan and light on and off.

Im just a bit confused by it tho. The switch has 3 terminals "To light" "Fan" and "To Hot".

The ceiling fan Has Live, neutral and earth terminal block.

So What the heck is "To Hot"?? is that Live?
And what do I connect to the "Light" and "Fan" terminals? these are controled by pull cords on the fan so do I need to get to the wiring for these somehow?

Any help appreciated as I thought this was supposed to be straightforward to wire up.

Sponsored Links
is it off ebay from china ?

Some picture of the fan and switch would be good.

Maybe you don't need that switch with that fan, if it has pull cords.

Sponsored Links
Here's a pic of the back of the wall switch.
I wondered if it was American for live as well.

But I still don't understand what it means by fan control wire and light control wire? The only connections on the fan are live, Neutral and Earth.

View media item 70599

HOT is definitely 240V live.

But I still don't understand what it means by fan control wire and light control wire?
Well, they are the wires that go from the switch to the fan control and light control respectively.

The only connections on the fan are live, Neutral and Earth.
Not according to the diagram.

As you will likely have only a Live and Switched Live (+E) at your switch position, unless you run a 3core (+E), you will have to connect the SL to both the fan and light and rely on the pull cords for individual switching.
So not really any point fitting the switch supplied.

Here's a picture of the fan these are the only terminals. View media item 70600
At the moment there is no switch at all I'm adding this in so I could use whatever wire. The problem is those wires it says to connect just don't exist unless I start opening up the main body of the fan to get to them.
How can they sell this switch saying is compatible with the fan?

Mmm. I don't know then.

All you can do is connect the existing Switched Live to L, Neutral to N and E to E.
Plus the live loop in separate connector.

What is the model number of the fan?

On mine with fan connections like that, the wall switch controls the light.

The remote will then control the fan and turn light off.

I was going to go for the remote as well but was worried it would keep getting lost.
Surely there must be some way of doing it if it says compatible with all there fans.

I emailed the manufacturer about it yesterday but they still hasn't got back yet.

I can't find any details on the net but then yours weren't a lot of help.

You will just have to wire it as a normal light as I wrote above which is what Andy must have done.

Thanks for all the help guys I do appreciate it.
Just found the same switch on Amazon and found the description interesting so I will copy and paste it below. The bit about in some fans the internal feed for live for light and fan are connected together in the ceiling rose. It says you may need to adjust the wiring inside the fan. Seems that's what I would have to do.
Would you agree?

Description
The Westinghouse wall control is suitable for use with all Westinghouse ceiling fans. This unit is white and has 4-speed controls and off control for the fan as well as on/off switch for fans with lights. This wall fan control can be used with all Westinghouse fans, but you should be aware that for fans that are supplied with the remote control module, you can not connect the remote control and the wall control at the same time. Only one control can be wired to the fan unit. The wall control does not require a neutral or earth connection but does require a live feed, and two separate live return to the fan unit - one for the light and one for the fan. This may require an additional cable to be run to the wall control location as three live wires are required in total. With some fan units, the internal live feeds for the fan and the light are connected together in the ceiling rose of the fan, for connection to a standard on/off light switch and when used with the remote control option. This means that your electrician might have to adjust the wiring in the ceiling rose of the fan to enable independent control of the light and fan when installing this wall control unit instead of a remote control module.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back