Wiring ceiling fan and lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a remote control ceiling fan with inbuilt light.
There was a basic ceiling rose with a single connection to the light switch. The fan replaced that.
The light wasn’t bright enough so I installed some down lights as well, running from the same feed and switch.
I realise now that I can’t have the fan on without the down lights on which means in the summer months I’m stuck with no fan at night or the down lights on.
I think the best solution is to connect the down lights into the circuit with the fan light (I can do this and the fan light is rated at 100w so as they’re all LED no overload), but it will be a fidget to do it.
I was just wondering if anyone had any better ideas please
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Sonoff make a fan controller... Cheap as well.
I think that will sort your problem.

So much easier.

Alexa. Fan on
Alexa lights on.
Alexa fan fast.

I think the best solution is to connect the down lights into the circuit with the fan light
The only solution.

(I can do this and the fan light is rated at 100w so as they’re all LED no overload),
Agreed.
100W light is not bright enough ???

I was just wondering if anyone had any better ideas please
Don't think so. You will have to separate the fan from your new lights.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I decided to stick with the existing remote system. As I’ve converted to LED there will be no issue with the load on the remote. I therefore re-wired with a 4 core cable such that the on/off for the lighting at the remote sends current or otherwise to the light in the fans and the additional LED down lights. All seems to be working well.

Sponsored Links
Smart down lights, I have a switch for my outside lights, it is never switched off, as all lamps have smart bulbs, so I simply say hey google turn on/off outside lights, and it turns on/off five lights coming from 3 supplies.

Using a smart relay DSC_6061r.jpg you can even have your fan voice controlled. It has saved me a lot of wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back