Sundial Y Plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My central heating system has the honeywell sundial y plan setup with a 3 position diverter valve.

The valve is automatic but it also has a manual lever. But the lever has no markings/writing on it to tell you which way it should be left?

Any ideas?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
This lever manually overrides (opens both c/h & h/w circuits) the system for draining purposes.

Leave well alone if is working properly

Ok understood. but say it had been moved several times and you couldnt remember which way it was supposed to be set, and it has no markings.

What then?

When working properly, it does not need 'setting'. Depending on what you are heating (or was heating before the system went off - c/h or h/w), the lever will have very little resistance or move freely. As I said, it does not matter where the lever is and how much movement it has if it is working fine.

Who would want to go fiddling about with the lever if they didnt know what it did anyway?

Sponsored Links
Who would want to go fiddling about with the lever if they didnt know what it did anyway?

The lever was moved by accident as its in a prominent position and its easy to knock unintentionally hence I came here to ask advice.

So thanks for your advice which I appreciated, but you can keep the sarcasm, which I think sucks.

I give my time up to give you free advice.

Sorry if I appeared sarcastic...I did not intend to.

I explained that it has no need to be 'set', and the reason there are no markings on it are because, generally, they can be knocked which yours has. I will explain in depth how they are designed, wired and work if you want, then perhaps you will not worry if it happens in the future.

Had it been knocked and stopped working I could understand your concern.

It hooks in the "Man " position. It should be left in the unhooked "Auto" position, which it moves to under spring pressure.
Some valves unhook themselves in normal operation - not sure if this is one of them - sounds like S-W thinks so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back