Super Subbie

• Thread starter Deleted member 174758
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
sorry, dont know, however on a slightly different spin, I have reserved a website name www.snaggerpros.com (will go to the MOD queue no doubt) The idea behind it is a lot of time served pro's who don't want to work full time would be happy to snag new builds?

JobAndKnock, good evening.

I am shall we call it skeptical of such sites, generally such firms are after a large cut of what you get from the main contractor you are working for?? it would be of interest to see just how much the skim off the top is?

As for Snagging, there are some firms advertising on line for this type of work. I would have thought given so many of the posts on this site that some sort of effective snagging "organisation" could work? There will be a lot of admin in setting this sort of thing up even on a relatively small scale.

They actually charge the contractor a subscription -the subbie gets the contacts free.

As to snagging, I'm one of the guys at the end of his working life, so I no longer want to be humping heavy joists into place, or cutting out and replacing rotted beams, etc. so snagging is a bit more attractive, nowadays. I have to admit, though, telling one contractor this year to stick his job because the volume and nature of snags he expected me and my team to deal with simply indicated that his foremen were lazy/incompetent and weren't keeping the price work subs in line. It can be a very frustrating way to earn a living if the contractor closes his ears to positive suggestions

Sponsored Links
They actually charge the contractor a subscription -the subbie gets the contacts free.

As to snagging, I'm one of the guys at the end of his working life, so I no longer want to be humping heavy joists into place, or cutting out and replacing rotted beams, etc. so snagging is a bit more attractive, nowadays. I have to admit, though, telling one contractor this year to stick his job because the volume and nature of snags he expected me and my team to deal with simply indicated that his foremen were lazy/incompetent and weren't keeping the price work subs in line. It can be a very frustrating way to earn a living if the contractor closes his ears to positive suggestions

I can fully understand that, I am a contractor myself (different field) and it's infuriating when I am largely proved right, time after time, contrary to the clients expectations, goes with the territory I suppose, after 30+ years in the game, I'd like to think I know what I'm doing (not always I'll admit) but anyway, I'd like to give the snagging idea a go, I am well aware of the minefield of implications around this, esp around GDPR, liability etc, but as a general question what would you feel would be an acceptable cut for such a business? I know that would depend mainly on liability... but say if the business assumed liability (might be a bad idea) I reckon 20%? Sorry this is not addressing J&K's original post :(

The problem I see with snagging is that its ok doing remedials that are superficial decoration etc, but what about those faults which are construction or design faults and deeply embedded?

Dealing with snagging for big developers I could imagine not being much fun. These businesses are driven by profits so that puts huge pressure on turning building into money as fast as possible......and using the cheapest labour. I would never buy a new build....its paying a premium for a faulty product.

It doesnt say much for construction when the quality of a Victorian house is better than one built in 2018.....

It would certainly be one of the issues, where do you draw the line as to what consitutues snagging?

It would certainly be one of the issues, where do you draw the line as to what consitutues snagging?
You don't (draw the line, that is). What normally happens is that you are supplied with a "punch list" of snags to be fixed. A lot of the time there is a blurring between certain trades, plus there are always "political" items - work which is being added to placate the client/main contractor. In my experience these snag lists can't ever be done on a fixed price/estimate basis, so you can find yourself under a lot of pressure to fix stuff (which often shouldn't have been wrong in the first place) quickly and at minimal cost. My own feeling is that the price work guys should be made to come back and fix their own messes - at their own cost, too. Might do them some good. In the real world, though, that doesn't happen

You don't (draw the line, that is). What normally happens is that you are supplied with a "punch list" of snags to be fixed. A lot of the time there is a blurring between certain trades, plus there are always "political" items - work which is being added to placate the client/main contractor. In my experience these snag lists can't ever be done on a fixed price/estimate basis, so you can find yourself under a lot of pressure to fix stuff (which often shouldn't have been wrong in the first place) quickly and at minimal cost. My own feeling is that the price work guys should be made to come back and fix their own messes - at their own cost, too. Might do them some good. In the real world, though, that doesn't happen

Again, I can understand that, I always hated having to fix others sloppy work, to the point sometimes when the whole thing was designed or architected incorrectly, that's a real bummer as effectively you're being asked to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK
Some blue sky musings?

How about advertising a "new build [or any build] snagging service + a rectification service?

Adverts to get the owner on board.

Pop along at a convenient time, snag the property, compile an agreed [with the owner] snagging list.

Let the owner get in contact with the builder, tell the builder to contact you about costs to undertake the rectification work? the owner only wants you to undertake the agreed work, that way you are to a greater extent in control of what snagging is agreed and what cost??

Ken

How about advertising a "new build [or any build] snagging service + a rectification service?

Adverts to get the owner on board
Not sure there's much of a market for it TBH. After all the purchaser is legally obliged to allow the contractor first bite at any snagging required on a build. That's certainly the case on the commercial type stuff I primarily work on - and in addition on commercials there's generally a 12 month "warranty period" where it's the responsibility of the main contractor to pay for and undertake many remedial tasks (which inevitably includes what many would call snags). That's why there's something like a 3 to 5% withholding on those jobs (not sound like a lot? The last restaurant fit-out I did was over £2.5m so 3% of that is more than I earn in a year)

Last edited by a moderator:
T
It doesnt say much for construction when the quality of a Victorian house is better than one built in 2018.....
Or (a good )one built just post war by brickies earning £6. per week. I saw an old documentary ;)

My own feeling is that the price work guys should be made to come back and fix their own messes - at their own cost, too. Might do them some good. In the real world, though, that doesn't happen

You are presuming that they are capable of turning out a good standard, but chose not to for whatever reason.
I fear that, more and more nowadays, your presumption is misplaced.

Not sure there's much of a market for it TBH. After all the purchaser is legally obliged to allow the contractor first bite at any snagging required on a build. That's certainly the case on the commercial type stuff I primarily work on - and in addition on commercials there's generally a 12 month "warranty period" where it's the responsibility of the main contractor to pay for and undertake many remedial tasks (which inevitably includes what many would call snags). That's why there's something like a 3 to 5% withholding on those jobs (not sound like a lot? The last restaurant fit-out I did was over £2.5m so 3% of that is more than I earn in a year)

But the snagging firm would be subbed from the main contractor to fix the snags, allowing the main crew to throw up more badly built poor quality dwellings (y)

Sponsored Links
Back