Supply for Landing light ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is another of my many boring questions ? :D

I intend to wire up the hall and landing lights so both are 2 way switched.

Would you take one supply for both ie say from the upstairs lighting supply.

Or would it not be better to supply the hall light from the upsatirs supply and the landing light from the downstairs lighting supply ?

Would this be a pain in the arse to wire up in reality ?

I am trying to imagine it in my head, and it would have 2, 3 core & cpc between the 2,2 way switches with one twin & cpc from each ceiling fitting to each switch fitting.

Is this right ?

Sponsored Links
You can wire it that way if you like (and it may help if you have a dual RCD).

It is best to avoid using two circuits, fused seperately, in one switch box. so either use two 1gang 2way switches, or fix a label inside the switch indicating that the power must be turned off from two locations.

Sponsored Links
The way I'd do that, is run two 3C+Es between the switches, and then one 2C+E (i.e. live and switched live) to each switch - the landing light one upstairs, hall light one downstairs, should make it relatively obvious what's going on without being too messy...

To help future homeowners who decide to replace switches, it would probably be a good idea to carefully label each cable at each switch, so it's clear which 3C+E is for which light etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back