Supply from BT Master Socket to bank of ADSL Sockets/phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Can anyone help please. I have been installing Cat 5 cables for broadband and phones. I have a separate cable for each one and they terminate inside a cupboard. I plan to fit a router in the cupboard to feed the ADSL cables to three rooms (4 outlets). I also have two Cat 5 cables for phones in two rooms. I have run a Cat 5 cable from the Master Socket location in the hall to the cupboard. Can anyone please tell me if the following will work.

I plan to put a phone socket in the cupboard to receive the feed from the Master socket in the hall. From this socket I was going to supply the two phones by hard wiring. From the phone socket in the cupboard I was going to connect to a router and connect the 4 ADSL sockets from the router.

Also, the BT Master Socket in the hall has a lower part on the face plate that can be removed. There are 4 wires - brown, blue green and orange.
Can anyone advise how I should connect the CAT 5 to feed the supply to the cupboard phone socket.

Thanks

Adrian

Sponsored Links
Hello, and welcome.

I plan to fit a router in the cupboard to feed the ADSL cables to three rooms (4 outlets).
First, to point out that the cables which run from the Ethernet ports on the router to the jacks for your computers are not ADSL. The ADSL side is the connection which runs between the incoming telephone line and your modem/router.

I have run a Cat 5 cable from the Master Socket location in the hall to the cupboard.
That will work, but regular CW1308 (internal telephone cable) is generally a better choice for the ADSL connection itself. CAT5 is not a good match to the external telephone line plant, and can sometimes degrade the signal; it does vary from one case to another though, so you may not notice any significant difference.

I plan to put a phone socket in the cupboard to receive the feed from the Master socket in the hall. From this socket I was going to supply the two phones by hard wiring. From the phone socket in the cupboard I was going to connect to a router {.....}
Remember that the modem in the router needs to be connected directly to the incoming line, while everything else needs to be connected via a filter. The best solution by far is to fit one filter at your master jack and split the ADSL connection from the rest of the extension wiring at that point. A filter which plugs into the NTE5 in place of the existing lower section such as this one will do the job:

http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php

You can then extend to the telephone jacks from the filtered 2/3/4/5 terminals in the usual way, and use a separate pair from the unfiltered A/B terminals to connect to your dedicated jack for your modem/router. For example, at the master/filter connect:

2 - Blue/white
3 - Orange/white
4 - White/orange
5 - White/blue
A - White/green
B - Green/white

Then in your cupboard you would connect from the blue/white and orange/white pairs to your telephone extensions and the green/white pair would go to the dedicated ADSL jack.

Also, the BT Master Socket in the hall has a lower part on the face plate that can be removed. There are 4 wires - brown, blue green and orange.
That's older internal cable, installed up until the early 1980's. The NTE5 (master with removable lower section) is newer though. Is the blue/orange/green/brown cable the only one at the NTE and connected to the A/B incoming terminals, or is it already connected to the lower plate and feeding existing extension jacks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back