supply to electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fairly new to plumbing so tell me if this is not possible or if there's some reason it can't be done.

So, we're replacing our bathroom and getting a new electric shower (to replace the 1989 model that's in place). The current shower is fed from the water tank in the roofspace and the flow rate isnt great. Would it be possible to supply a new shower (thinking of this one http://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-manual-electric-shower-black-gloss-9-5kw/36058 ) straight off the mains incoming supply?

I am thinking about putting a T connector between the stopcock and the water tank and then running the T down to the shower supply.

So the mains would be coming in, one branch to the float valve and one branch straight to the shower.[/url]

Sponsored Links
Electric showers are usually mains water fed. Go for it.

You need an electrcian to check that the power cable is up to the new showers capabilty too.

Taking a feed direct from the rising main on an electric shower would be fine.

You may have issues electrically though, such as cable size for current demand and the additional protection of 30mA RCD on a circuit entering the bathroom.

Thanks.

There's a 9.5kw shower already in there so I'm just swapping one unit for the other, the electrics side of it is handy, just using the existing wiring. I thought I might as well 'fix' the water supply while i'm at it.

Sponsored Links
And what about RCD protection?
The manufacturers instruction will very likely state, that this additional protection should be in place. If not it will say that the current edition of BS7671 should be followed. Which will mean you require RCD protection.

Did you see the bit where I said I was replacing an existing 9.5kw electric shower with a new 9.5kw electric shower?

The wiring and rcd are fine.

What I find interesting is that someone connected an electric shower to a water tank.

Did you see the bit where I said I was replacing an existing 9.5kw electric shower with a new 9.5kw electric shower?

The wiring and rcd are fine.

I did, I also had seen the bit where you said that the existing shower was a 1989, model. I assume also fitted around that time, not a time common for 30mA RCDs to be found on shower circuits.

You also never mentioned the existence of RCD protection when I asked, did you see that bit where I asked you and also the bit where you failed to answer?

Now you say the wiring and RCD are fine, how do you know this please?
Do you have recent r1+r2, IR, Ze, Zs results plus the I∆n and 5 I∆n of RCD?

miaow. saucer of milk?
There is miaow for you, this is what you get when you try to help out and inform people with regards to safety!

Now you say the wiring and RCD are fine, how do you know this please?
Do you have recent r1+r2, IR, Ze, Zs results plus the I∆n and 5 I∆n of RCD?

The original question was about water supply and confirming what I thought about how I would do it - the fact that it was connected to the water tank made me think I was missing something. I was just trying to save you the bother of replying about the electrical side of things. When I bought the house the first thing I did was to change the old fuse wire consumer unit for a modern RCD unit and rewire a few of the circuits - there was a socket in the hall connected to the 5A lighting circuit (loads of fun when you plug a hoover in at night) amongst other things.

Although I do have an electrical question now, how do you type a triangle?

When writing a reply on the left of the text box there are Smilies, under these are 'Special Characters'.

Within Special Characters, (other than Dr Drivel and his various alter ego's), are triangles. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back