Support for Chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have received a surveyors report on a house I am buying. The reports states tjat the chimney breasts have been removed on ground and first floor and that the remaining masonry has been "corbelled" which is "unsatisfactory"

Three questions

1) what is corbelling?
2) Was corbelling a satisfactory way of doing things previously, and if so, when did regs change?
3) What would normally be a satisfactory way of providing support to remaining masonry RSJ/Beam or something else?

Sponsored Links
what would have been satisfactory was to have left the chimney breasts where they were.

corbelling is basically building the bricks out of perpendicular. it's a builders way of creating projections or wall movements that don't conform to the 'upright'. by stepping the next brick above, out slightly, chimney flues can be shaped and turned according to the demands of the structure.

if the chimney wall is shared with a neighbour, and he were to remove his chimney and corbelling, yours will probably collapse onto the ceiling, and through onto your bed.

i suggest an r.s.j. set up will be safest.

and yes, builders still corbel today. they are often used to finish a gable-to-fascia junction at the eaves detail where barge boards have been omitted. it is often used on chimneys creating a step out near to the top. this helps keep the weather off the rest of the stack.

Cheers,

Only asked because I will need to get quotes before going ahead with purchase. it's always nice to know what you need to ask for...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back