Support for domestic water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20180125_191339.jpg
Hi all.

Quick question. I have a black plastic domestic water tank sitting on top of a structure that holds an old steel watertank that the black plastic one has replaced. I want to leave the black plastic one in situ by building a support structure and pulling the old tank and structure out from below.The struture is in a hotpress with one wall made of brick (red house brick, no cavity) and the other side plaster board. I was thinking of fixing a timber support to the brick wall with rawl bolts from which i could run heavy timers below the tank to a vertical timber support on the plasterboard side that runs down to the floor (think 2 upside down Ls with the top of the upside down Ls supported by the brick/rawlbolt/timber support). What kind of rawl bolts would be sufficient to hold this kind of weight. The tank holds a couple of hundred litres of water. I would have to go into the wall as there is pipe work running along the bottom of the wall. All advice welcome (timber and fixings) and apologies for the long post.

Crude drawing attached.

D.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Try joist hangers. Look them up on the Screwfix website or Google. Screw them to the studs (uprights) in the plasterboard wall. Cut a slot in the brickwork opposite with a masonry angle grinder disc and mortar them in. Or drill the brick wall and screw them to it. Joists slot in, board onto the joists. It should be marine ply if the water tank supplies a water heater/cylinder, there have been some nasty accidents where improperly supported tanks (on chipboard or on joists) filled with boiling water and collapsed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. It does feed a hot water cylinder. What kind of fixings if I were to drill into the brickwork?

Also, any recommendations on timber/joist size? The tank is 800x500x500 approx so reckon it is atound the 150 ltr mark.

Cheers,

D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back