Support required when putting in a door lintel

• Thread starter richard7761
  • Start date
I'm just curious though. Let's say that I did decide to make my own acro.

This is what I think I'd do:

I'd use some scaffolding (I have a long length sitting in the garden). I'd find round steel bar and fill up each end. I'd drill a hole on the ends and tap.

I'd get myself some channel 100mm wide and 50mm deep and cut two pieces about 200mm long. I'd bolt to each end of the scaffolding tube a channel iron piece as described.

I'd fill in the channel with wood, which would just stand a little proud of the channel edges (channel edges facing outwards).

I'd make a piece of wood say 50mm x 100mm and about 800mm long and use that between the ceiling and the acro.

I's use wooden chocks to apply pressure on the roof, to wedge the acro in.

What say?

P.S. For my job I think it would work.

My ceiling height is 2400mm. I can actually get three 2100mm scaffolding tubes out of my long scaffolding tube. One side of the doorway has more weight above than the other. I could use two home-made acros on the weightier side, one on the less weightier side.

My ceiling beams do overlap at the central wall where the doorway is going to be cut. A particular beam does not go right through from side to side of the house.

Measure: 100mm block of wood from top channel to ceiling, 50mm top channel depth, 2100mm scaffold tube, 50mm bottom channel depth, 50mm chocks= 2350m. Adjustment of 50mm taking up slack made by pulling out an end bar 50mm and locking.

Sponsored Links
Only change I'd make is shortening the channel length from 200mm to 100mm.

I'm just curious though. Let's say that I did decide to make my own acro.

This is what I think I'd do:

I'd use some scaffolding (I have a long length sitting in the garden). I'd find round steel bar and fill up each end. I'd drill a hole on the ends and tap.

I'd get myself some channel 100mm wide and 50mm deep and cut two pieces about 200mm long. I'd bolt to each end of the scaffolding tube a channel iron piece as described.

I'd fill in the channel with wood, which would just stand a little proud of the channel edges (channel edges facing outwards).

I'd make a piece of wood say 50mm x 100mm and about 800mm long and use that between the ceiling and the acro.

I's use wooden chocks to apply pressure on the roof, to wedge the acro in.

What say?

P.S. For my job I think it would work.
And how long would it take to make all that? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Actually nephew never got acros.

If I use timber to hold up ceiling, say two on each side of lintel, what size would I need? Length would be about 2.3m.

I'd be thinking about 100mm square. That ought to do.

I ought to be able to get reclaimed timber 2.4m x 100mmm x 100mm quite cheap. Then when done, I have some timber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back