Supporting a heavy mantlepiece

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to put this above a fireplace. It's pretty heavy, what's the best way to support it and look aesthetically good?
20230308_115542.jpg
20230308_115356.jpg
20230308_115406.jpg

Sponsored Links
Depends what you find aesthetically pleasing? Scaffold brackets would be easy fix.

something like this. Sink the flats in wall maybe.
Check this out! https://amzn.eu/d/di0vRJC

Bolt resin the long bit in wall is an easy job.

Wood will sit on 2 of these and screw in from the bottom

Maybe other similar brackets that maybe better

Offset pins, its like a rawl plug into the wall with pins into the mantel. You align the pins to make the mantle level, holds it no problem

Sponsored Links
Do you want it to look like it's floating (hidden supports) or do you want visible supports?

I prefer supported look, would be seeking some decorative carved triangular pieces myself.. "corbels" is probably the phrase you'd be googling for

36FE0D04-4A8E-44A9-A094-B22D779A7118.jpeg

4890DFE6-37C2-4395-83F0-C9D33CB07024.jpeg

Drill the wall, drill the edge of the timber to match the holes in the wall, then resin both in the wall and the timber holes, for the threaded bar.
It's heavy, I'll put two resins bars in. Never put a resin bar in before. How deep into brick work? How high above fire?

3 or 4 i would use.

4" min into brickwork and timber.

It's heavy, I'll put two resins bars in. Never put a resin bar in before. How deep into brick work? How high above fire?
I would support it on a temporary frame whilst it dries, or you end up having a droopy result

The weight of the mantle creates a torque ( rotational force ) around the point where the resin bar connects the mantle to the wall.
mantle mount.jpg

If you use resin bars then put the bars close to the top of the mantle to create a force ( from the weight ) that presses the bottom of the mantle towards the wall if the resin bar starts to bend

With the resin bars close to the bottom of the mantle a force is created that pulls the top of the mantle away from the wall along with a force ( white arrow ) that presses the bottom of the mantle towards the wall. Worse case is the wall crumbles under this pressure and the resin bar bends

No need to worry about bending if you get the right bar, the right depth too. Use 4 bars too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back