Floating Mantlepiece..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having opened up a fireplace, we're going for a 'clean' look, and want to put a wooden mantlepiece up that is like a 'floating shelf'..

width is approx 1.1m
Depth is approx 17cm
Thickness is approx 5cm

I realise that 'floating shelves' don't have a great load bearing capacity, but they are usually deeper. Are there any fixings that will make this reasonably strong?

cheers

Sponsored Links
thanks..

Do you know what sort of load (approx) these would take?

The ones in the link won't hold that much as the screw part is only about 6mm diameter. The studding and resin method will hold about 4 times the weight if you used 12mm stud/bar.

Would also depend how many fixings you used, 4 along the shelf would be better than one at each end and also what the wall is made of, I assume its brick as in an old fireplace. Drill the holes 1/3 down the depth of the shelf as this will give the shelf more support.

As the shelf is quite narrow the average load will only de 85mm from the wall so something like 10kg per stud would give you 40kg with 4 fixings.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Do you have a link for the studding and resin method as i havn't a clue what that looks like..cheers

Several companies including Fischer, Spit and Hilti make resin-bonded anchor kits. They all work in a similar fashion, namely drill the hole, blow the hole out with an ait lione or blower gun, inject a measured quantity of a 2-pack chemical resin into the hole (supplied in a mixer gun), then insert the stud bolts and leave to set.

You can also get pre-made chemical anchors which have a glass/plastic vial attached to the end of the stud. With those all you do is drill the hole, clean it out, insert the anchor then hit the end with a hammer to break the vial and cause the 2-part resin to mix and set.

Yet another variation is to drill oversize, pack the hole loosely with epoxy mortar then knock-in a piece of studding. I've used this technique to hold a 4 tonne CNC router in place (in a concrete floor) and it hasn't moved yet.

In all the above cases your holes need to be accurately drilled into masonry, not mortar. You may have to hold the anchor in position using wire, tape, etc while the resin sets to ensure that the anchors are dead level. The resin normally goes off in 10 to 30 minutes depending on make

A fourth alternative might be to use a Rawlbolt. In one form they are made as a sleeved anchor with a captive threaded spreader nut holding a conventional hex-head bolt. This type can have the hex bolt replaced by a piece of threded studding.

Lastly if your shelves aren't too deep have you seen the concealed shelf supports distributed by Hafele? Try Woodfit or Isaac Lord for retail quantities.

On any of these a local fastenings company (see Yellow Pages) should be able to advise.

Scrit

Thanks for that very good explanation.

And for the other suggestions - at least I now have an idea of what to ask for !

cheers for all the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back