supporting floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a large 6ft 8 inch by 2ft 6 inch by 2ft glass tank on a 7ft solid maple base unit with side boards and hood so its a all in one very expensive tank. the problem i have is the only wall i can have it on is resting on one joist.

i had it in my kitchen as the floor is concrete but its abit much with 2 large american bulldogs in there aswell :(

here is my little idea i thought of and was wondering if its safe to do so.

put 2 joists 2x6 side by side of the original joist with joist hangers screwed not nailed to each end.

then by 4 floor jacks (only £6 each of ebay supporting upto 4 ton)

place 2 jacks on each new joist which then gives an extra 16 ton support weight.

would this work guys and here is the link to the item just incase im buying the wrong product.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adjustable-Base-Jack-/120548872496?pt=UK_H_G_Ladders_RL&hash=item1c1145d130

thanks in advance

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
that's got to weigh nearly a tonne,

how much void do you need to pack out? those jack look like they may not be suitable to use, maybe use piles of engineering bricks laid with a 1:4 mortar mix. assuming you're going down to the concrete oversite under the floor.

an alternative that really is fully adjustable is a trench prop - it's a kind of undersized acrow prop, course, those babies don't come cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back