Supporting joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built 4 stone pillars (only 2 course each) ontop of 18x18x4" concrete pads.
The pillars are to provide support under joists on a decking area .....

Additional supports in readiness for HotTub going on the decking.
The joists are already in place ... so I can't remove, just need to 'fill the gap' to provide load bearing.

There is a gap of about 1.5"-2" between top of pillars and underside of joist ...... which I need to fill with a mix.

swivel bolt-104757.jpg

I had thought about Grano (3:1) but can't find it anywhere local to me.
So I could use builders sand (3:1) or go buy some sharp sand
or even some 10mm pea gravel and do a 1:2:3 concrete mix

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why not just use some timber, on some DPC? Would be nice and quick.....

Even a concrete mix with 10mm would be tough with a 15mm gap, you could use a strong mortar mix and pack it in I suppose.

My 2 neighbours had suggested mortar/concrete, hence my thoughts in that direction.
The concern is getting really good fit of timber .....
I could play around with plane until it fits ..
the joist is 38mm wide CLS .... so I could look to use some of that ..... or even go up to 47mm CLS, so it overlaps joist

You could use 2:1 mix with as little water as possible. Nail a piece of ply to one side, so you can ram in the dryish mix.

Or pack with stone, slate, or wood

Sponsored Links
I think my approach will be block one side as you say, jack up joist with bottle jack by a couple of mm.
mix up a 1:1 mix of stone dust & cement .... good stiff mix and pack in well, then remove jack .....
1:1 won't shrink and it very hard ..... used on bedding in steel stancions,

Large sections of the roof structure of my 1930's house are help up by what I can only describe as bits of scrap wood on top of brick piers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back